Confusion about four vector notation

In summary, there isn't a standard notation for special relativity and relativistic quantum mechanics. Some textbooks may use the convention ##+---## or ##-+++## for the metric, while others may use ##ict## or ##\mathrm{i}ct## for the time component of a 4-vector. It is recommended to choose one textbook and stick with it for consistency. Some recommended books for beginners in special relativity include Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics," Morin's "Special Relativity for the Enthusiastic Beginner," Landau and Lifshitz's "Classical Theory of Fields," Helliwell's "Special Relativity," and Woodhouse's "Special Relativity." It is also suggested to look
patric44
Homework Statement
what is the correct formula of the gradient in four vector notation
Relevant Equations
x_{mu}=(ct,-r)
hi guys

I am trying to learn special relativity and relativistic quantum mechanics on my own and just very confused about the different conventions used for the notation!?, e.g: the four position 4-vector some times denoted as
$$
x_{\mu}=(ct,-\vec{r})\;\;or\;as\;x_{\mu}=(ict,\vec{r})
$$
or for the contra-variant case
$$
x^{\mu}=(ct,\vec{r})\;or\;as\;x^{\mu}=(ict,\vec{r})
$$
the 4-gradiant also this way with 1/ic or 1/c, and sometimes the "time" component as x4 or as x0 , sometime with an "i" or without it, i tried to learn from different sources and most of them are different, what is the standard notation used for the position 4-vector and the gradient 4-vector? what is the easiest book to learn the subject for a beginner?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't a standard notation. Personally, I've never used a textbook that uses the complex ##ict## notation.

At this level it shouldn't make too much difference whether a book uses the convention ##+---## or ##-+++##. You should be able to handle either without difficulty.

Likes topsquark, patric44 and vanhees71
I strongly recommend to choose one textbook at the beginning and work with it through the basics. I'd exclude any textbook using the ##\mathrm{i} c t## convention, because this is really outdated nowadays.

Likes patric44
can you suggest an introductory level book that doesn't use the "ict"

For SR, I like Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics (there's a free-to-download version on Taylor's website). @PeroK usually recommends Morin's Special Relativity for the Enthusiastic Beginner, the first chapter of which is free online.

As noted above, there's no agreed standard for anything in relativity, but ##ict## is all but vanished as far as I'm aware (and about time too, in my opinion), although I haven't read enough QFT texts to have a view of the state of play there. +--- versus -+++ is a matter of choice. I prefer +--- because I've usually found it leads to fewer "forgot to take the modulus, so the sqrt function complained" incidents, but this may depend on your personal interests. I prefer to write time as the zeroth component because often you suppress a spatial dimension or two by a careful choice of coordinates, and it feels more natural to say "##(t,x,y,z)## can be reduced to ##(t,x,y)##" than "##(x,y,z,t)## can be reduced to ##(x,y,t)##". But that's definitely personal preference. You have to be flexible so that you can work with what the book you are working from uses.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes patric44, PeroK and vanhees71
My favorite is Landau&Lifshitz vol. 2.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn and patric44
Generally, I'd suggest Taylor and Wheeler (as @Ibix does) and Bondi for introductions to relativity.
However, for your stated goal and question on notation,
I'd suggest Woodhouse - Special Relativity.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1852334266/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is a more mathematically advanced introduction to special relativity
with emphasis on spacetime geometry, more careful attention to tensor notation,
and application to electromagnetism.

A position 4-vector is most naturally a vector ##V^\mu## (drawn as an arrow or vector or an ordered pair of points),
which, in the presence of a metric, can have its index lowered to the dual-vector, covector, or 1-form ##V_\mu=g_{\mu\nu}V^\nu## (drawn as an ordered pair of hyperplanes).

soapbox mode:
While convenient for calculations, sometimes index-gymnastics hides​
the more fundamental nature of the objects involved.​
For more on this viewpoint of the more fundamental nature of objects, look at​
Burke's Applied Differential Geometry​
Spacetime Geometry and Cosmology​
and his unfinished draft of "Div Grad Curl are Dead"​
I think the source of this viewpoint comes from​
Jan Schouten - Tensor Analysis for Physicists​
which is a more readable summary with physical applications of his Ricci Calculus book.​

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes SolarisOne, patric44, vanhees71 and 2 others

1. What is a four vector?

A four vector is a mathematical object used in physics to describe physical quantities in four-dimensional spacetime. It consists of four components, typically representing time and three spatial dimensions.

2. How is four vector notation used in relativity?

Four vector notation is used in relativity to describe the position, velocity, and momentum of objects moving in four-dimensional spacetime. It allows for calculations that are consistent in all reference frames and accounts for the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the difference between a covariant and a contravariant four vector?

A covariant four vector has components that transform in the same way as the coordinates of spacetime, while a contravariant four vector has components that transform in the opposite way. In other words, a covariant vector's components change when the coordinates change, while a contravariant vector's components stay the same.

4. How do I convert between covariant and contravariant four vectors?

To convert between covariant and contravariant four vectors, you can use the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between the two types of vectors. By raising or lowering indices using the metric tensor, you can convert a covariant vector to a contravariant vector and vice versa.

5. Why is four vector notation important in physics?

Four vector notation is important in physics because it allows for a consistent and accurate description of physical quantities in four-dimensional spacetime. It is essential in theories such as relativity and quantum mechanics, and is used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and electromagnetism.