Register to reply

Tangential Acceleration

by student 1
Tags: acceleration, tangential
Share this thread:
student 1
Jun15-08, 10:16 PM
P: 76
How do you find the Magnitude of tangential acceleration if you have uniform circular motion? I know the formula for Tangential Acceleration; however I have no clue how to apply it to determine the Magnitude?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Cyrus
Jun15-08, 10:28 PM
P: 4,780
Its just the magnitude of the vector. It should just be V^2/r.
tonyh
Jun16-08, 02:57 AM
P: 35
Quote Quote by student 1 View Post
How do you find the Magnitude of tangential acceleration if you have uniform circular motion? I know the formula for Tangential Acceleration; however I have no clue how to apply it to determine the Magnitude?
The formula in the previous post is incorrect (that's the magnitude of the *radial* component of the acceleration). What formula are you using for tangential acc?

Doc Al
Jun16-08, 04:57 AM
Mentor
P: 41,310
Tangential Acceleration

Do you mean centripetal acceleration? If something is performing uniform circular motion, its tangential acceleration is zero. Or do you mean non-uniform circular motion, which will have a tangential component of acceleration?
student 1
Jun16-08, 07:09 AM
No, I mean tangential acceleration. That's probably the answer I'm looking for I just have to know how to express that the acceleration would be zero if it was uniform circular motion using words and one equation.
student 1
Jun16-08, 09:22 AM
Im suppose to use At=[dv/dt].
Doc Al
Jun16-08, 10:30 AM
Mentor
P: 41,310
Im suppose to use At=[dv/dt].
OK, where v is the speed, not the velocity vector. For uniform circular motion, dv/dt = 0.
rcgldr
Jun16-08, 05:36 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,033
Tangental acceleration can still exist on a object traveling in a circular path. The centripetal force just needs to change with respect to speed2, so it always equals m |v|2 / r.

The magnitude of tangental acceleration would be the magnitude of angular acceleration times r = |angular acceleration| x r.

Register to reply