Reasoning for circular/elliptical orbits

• I
  • Thread starter Chenkel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary: This is because the force vector is still acting on the particle, but it is now acting over a smaller distance. This is why a circular path is traced out by the force vector...every time the force vector advances, it "pushes" the particle in the desired direction.In summary, the tangential velocity vector changes direction each second due to the acceleration of gravity, and this changes the direction of the projectile's velocity. This is why an object orbiting around a planet or star will have a trajectory that is elliptical or circular.
Orodruin said:
Using conservation of angular momentum, the equations of motion In a central potential can be rewritten as
$$
E = \frac{m \dot r^2}{2} + V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}
$$
This is a one-dimensional kinematic problem in potential ##V(r) + L^2/2mr^2## (the latter term is what is called the angular momentum barrier and prevents reaching ##r=0## unless ##L=0##).No. ##E=0## is the escape energy.
This generates many new questions but anyway since this is not my thread I will not question anymore, except how can it be that any E>0 the body escapes to infinity, sorry can't seem to grasp that.
Oh just saw you expanded on your previous post, thx.

Likes Chenkel
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh now I understood it, by E you mean the total energy not the kinetic energy only, and taking into account that the potential energy is negative...

Likes Chenkel
To add to the addendum regarding the effective problem in the Kepler potential:

To analyze the behaviour of the effective potential ##a/r^2 - b/r##, consider ##x = 1/r## such that the effective potential is ##x(ax -b)## as expressed in ##x > 0##. It is clear that this potential grows without bound as ##x \to +\infty## (##r\to 0##) and that it is zero when ##x \to 0## (##r\to \infty##). However, it is also clear that the minimum of the potential is smaller than zero and indeed lies in the ##x>0## region. Therefore, the existence of negative energy (bound) solutions is guaranteed. This holds regardless of the values of the positive* constants ##a## and ##b##.

* The exception being the special case of no angular momentum, which is a bit pathological as already mentioned in this thread.

Likes vanhees71 and Chenkel
After reading all this discussion, I gave a humble effort to understand, but I feel it may be a little bit over my head with my current level in physics to see how mechanical energy more than or equal to 0 implies unbounded orbit for any velocity or orbital position, maybe I can understand a simple case that I've been having trouble reconciling, that question is the following.. What is the proof that for a one dimensional case of a mass being launched radially without any tangential velocity that if the mechanical energy is more than or equal to 0 that it will never reverse direction of it's velocity to come back to center. I tried with pen and paper to understand this simple case, but I am having trouble coming to terms with it. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Delta2
Chenkel said:
What is the proof that for a one dimensional case of a mass being launched radially without any tangential velocity that if the mechanical energy is more than or equal to 0 that it will never reverse direction of it's velocity to come back to center.
This:
Orodruin said:
only if E<0 does an upper turning point exist
Fleshed out:
The mechanical energy in your case of purely radial motion is
$$
E = m\frac{\dot r^2}{2} - \frac{GmM}{r}
$$
If ##E \geq 0## then ##\dot r^2 > 0## for all ##r##, meaning ##\dot r \neq 0##, which it would need to be at a turning point.

• Informative
Likes Delta2 and Chenkel
Orodruin said:
This:

Fleshed out:
The mechanical energy in your case of purely radial motion is
$$
E = m\frac{\dot r^2}{2} - \frac{GmM}{r}
$$
If ##E \geq 0## then ##\dot r^2 > 0## for all ##r##, meaning ##\dot r \neq 0##, which it would need to be at a turning point.

Thank you, this works for one dimensional analysis and I understand it, but now I'm trying to gain some intuition for the non one dimensional case where velocity can never be less than 0.

I'm trying to analyze the rate of change of radial distance to see what's going on. These are the equations I have$$E = \frac 1 2 m v^2 - \frac {mMG} r$$$$\frac {dE}{dt} = mv\frac{dv}{dt}+\frac {mMG} {r^2} \frac {dr}{dt}$$$$\frac {dE}{dt} = 0$$$$\frac {dr}{dt}=-\frac {r^2 v \frac {dv}{dt}}{MG}$$I'm wondering if I made a mistake because dr/dt is less than 0 when dv/dt is more than 0. Is this equation correct?

Likes Delta2
Chenkel said:
Thank you, this works for one dimensional analysis and I understand it, but now I'm trying to gain some intuition for the non one dimensional case where velocity can never be less than 0.
I covered this above by looking at the effective 1D problem for the radial motion. The argument is exactly the same.

Split the velocity in the radial component ##\dot r## and the tangent component ##v_\theta## and use the fact that angular momentum ##L = mrv_\theta## is conserved and you will arrive at
Orodruin said:
$$
E = \frac{m \dot r^2}{2} + V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}
$$
This is a one-dimensional kinematic problem in potential ##V(r) + L^2/2mr^2## (the latter term is what is called the angular momentum barrier and prevents reaching ##r=0## unless ##L=0##).

Likes Chenkel
Chenkel said:
I'm wondering if I made a mistake because dr/dt is less than 0 when dv/dt is more than 0.
That’s just telling you that speed increases when the radius decreases. You could have concluded that already from potential energy decreasing when you decrease ##r##.

Likes Chenkel
Orodruin said:
I covered this above by looking at the effective 1D problem for the radial motion. The argument is exactly the same.

Split the velocity in the radial component ##\dot r## and the tangent component ##v_\theta## and use the fact that angular momentum ##L = mrv_\theta## is conserved and you will arrive at
I think I have some intuition about angular momentum, for example an ice skater speeding up in angular velocity as the arms are brought closer to the body, but I haven't had any rigorous study of it yet. Is it a necessary prerequisite to understand angular momentum deeply? What is V(r)? Also I'm still trying to come to terms with the angular momentum barrier term ##\frac {L^2} {2mr^2}##

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
When I wrote ##V(r)## I was talking about motion in a general central potential. In the particular case of gravity it is the gravitational potential energy.

Obviously understanding angular momentum never hurts. For the purposes here it is enough to know that it is constant in a central potential and equal to ##mrv_\theta##.

Likes Chenkel
@Orodruin can't resist asking this question: How we talk about 1D radial problem if there is angular momentum, that is the component ##v_{\theta}## of velocity besides the radial component ##v_r=\dot r \hat r##.

Likes Chenkel
Delta2 said:
@Orodruin can't resist asking this question: How we talk about 1D radial problem if there is angular momentum, that is the component ##v_{\theta}## of velocity besides the radial component ##v_r=\dot r \hat r##.
It is an effective 1D problem. The equation of motion (after using conservation of angular momentum) is the same as that of a particle moving in one dimension with the angular momentum barrier added to the potential. All information of the problem being higher-dimensional is now encoded in the value of the constant ##L##.

• Wow
Likes Chenkel and Delta2
Ok I see now thx, for some reason I didn't give too much weight to the word effective.

Likes Chenkel
This thread is full of circular reasoning!
(Sorry...couldn't help myself)

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Chenkel, malawi_glenn and Delta2
Vanadium 50 said:
You're just being hyperbolic.

• Haha
Likes Chenkel, Vanadium 50 and Delta2
Vanadium 50 said:
No, you are wrong. Since we are discussing unbound orbits, I’d rather say the discussion is full of hyperbolae.

Edit: And I remind myself again to read to the end of the thread before replying …

Edit 2: As it stands my joke became a bit … derivative …

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and Chenkel
Terrible puns. I'd tell you all to go suck on lemon slices, but all I have are these conic slices.

Likes Chenkel and Delta2
Drakkith said:
Terrible puns. I'd tell you all to go suck on lemon slices, but all I have are these conic slices.
Who cares about the shape of a cross section? Fill it with ice cream already.

Likes Chenkel and Drakkith
Vanadium 50 said:

I hate when physics discussions go off on a tangent

Likes Chenkel
drmalawi said:
I hate when physics discussions go off on a tangent
Me too, it gives me physical pain in both radius bones.

Likes Chenkel
Orodruin said:
Me too, it gives me physical pain in both radius bones.
On the other hand, it can also be rather humerus …

Likes Chenkel
Orodruin said:
On the other hand, it can also be rather humerus …
You're being elliptical now.

Likes Chenkel
Drakkith said:
Terrible puns.
I agree, all those puns are so mechanical. Someone ought to get a kick in latus rectum!

Likes Chenkel
PeroK said:
You're being elliptical now.
… and there the circle is complete

Likes Chenkel and Vanadium 50