Register to reply

Area of a sector of a circle

by Calcotron
Tags: circle, sector
Share this thread:
Calcotron
Jun22-08, 04:57 PM
P: 17
Prove the formula [tex] A = \frac{1}{2}r^{2}\theta[/tex] for the area of a sector of a circle with radius r and central angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. (Hint: Assume 0 < [tex]\theta[/tex] < [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] and place the center of the circle at the origin so it has the equation [tex]x^{2} + y^{2} = r^{2}[/tex] . Then A is the sum of the area of the triangle POQ and the area of the region PQR in the figure.)

So the area of the triangle is 1/2bh which comes to [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^{2}cos\theta sin\theta[/tex]

Now, for the other region I used the integral [tex]\int\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}dx[/tex]

I make x = r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I plug that in under the square root sign and get r cos[tex]\theta[/tex].

I changed the limits of integration from r cos[tex]\theta[/tex] to r, to pi/4 to pi/2.

Now since dx = r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex] the integral for the area of the second region is [tex]\int r^{2}cos^{2}\theta d\theta[/tex]. Now here is where the problem starts, I pull the r^2 out of the equation and use half angle theorem on the cos^2 theta. After his I end up with [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^{2}(\theta+\frac{1}{2}sin2\thetacos\theta)[/tex] with limits pi/4 to pi/2. Now I am assuming there should be a negative equivalent somewhere here to cross out the first area and leave me with just [tex]\frac{1}{2}r^{2}\theta[/tex]but I don't see how I can get it to work, especially after I finish integration and sub the limits in at which point I will lose the trig ratios. Can anyone help me finish this question up?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
rootX
Jun22-08, 06:09 PM
P: 1,294
there's a better way:

Area of all / Area of sector = Total arc length / sector arc length

use r.theta = arc length
Calcotron
Jun22-08, 06:32 PM
While I see that does work, I am more interested in solving the problem using trigonometric substitution.

rootX
Jun22-08, 07:55 PM
Area of a sector of a circle

why divide it into two areas
when you can use Polar co-ordinates?

Using Jacobi transformations
integrate from 0 to theta
rootX
Jun22-08, 11:07 PM
I was preoccupied watching movie..

using your method
I got
0.5r^2.theta - 0.5 * int (0,theta) cos 2*t dt
for second area...

I think you took wrong limits

starting from very beginning:
second area:
int (0, theta) int (r. cos thata -- > r) [r] .dr.d(theta)

urs different

for
[tex]
\int r^{2}cos^{2}\theta d\theta
[/tex]

I have
[tex]
\int r^{2}sin^{2}\theta d\theta
[/tex]
tiny-tim
Jun23-08, 09:17 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Quote Quote by Calcotron View Post
Now, for the other region I used the integral [tex]\int\sqrt{r^{2} - x^{2}}dx[/tex]

I make x = r sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

I plug that in under the square root sign and get r cos[tex]\theta[/tex].

I changed the limits of integration from r cos[tex]\theta[/tex] to r, to pi/4 to pi/2.

Now since dx = r cos[tex]\theta[/tex]d[tex]\theta[/tex] the integral for the area of the second region is [tex]\int r^{2}cos^{2}\theta d\theta[/tex].
Hi Calcotron!

You've used θ to mean two different things.

First, it's a fixed value, then it's a variable of integration.

Don't be stingy use another letter!

(and be careful about the limits of integration!)
Calcotron
Jun23-08, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I always use theta for that part and I wasn't thinking here. Ok, so if I make the substitution x = r sin u the limits change to [tex] sin^{-1}cos\theta[/tex] to [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]correct?

I end up with [tex] \frac{1}{2}r^{2}[\frac{\pi}{2} - (sin^{-1}cos\theta + \frac{1}{4}sin(2sin^{-1}(cos\theta))][/tex]

I assume the sin and arcsin cross out but I still cannot see how to get this into a form so that it will cancel out the area of the first triangle that I found. Can anyone see where I made a mistake?
Calcotron
Jun23-08, 11:05 PM
Well, if I replace [tex]sin^{-1}cos\theta[/tex] with [tex] \frac{\pi}{2} - \theta[/tex] in both spots there and then an angle sum identity on the last term, and then the double angle sin identity I get the right answer. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
tiny-tim
Jun24-08, 09:21 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
Hi Calcotron!
Ok, so if I make the substitution x = r sin u the limits change to [tex] sin^{-1}cos\theta[/tex] to [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]correct?
uhh?

Why x = rsinu?

Why deliberately give yourself limits like arcsin(cos)??

Try again with (the far more obvious?) x = rcosu.
Calcotron
Jun24-08, 07:36 PM
that works too

Register to reply