Energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field (sign problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy between the sign of the energy-momentum tensor derived from Noether's theorem and the one derived by varying the metric. The speaker is asking for help in understanding why there is a difference in sign and provides details on how they arrived at their calculations. It is mentioned that according to Wald, there may be differences between the two tensors in certain cases. The speaker later realizes that the discrepancy is due to using an incorrect signature in their calculations.
knobelc
Hi

I have a small subtle problem with the sign of the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field as derived by varying the metric (s.b.). I would appreciate very much if somebody could help me on my specific issue. Let me describe the problem in more detail:

I conform to the sign convention [itex]g_{\mu \nu} = (+,-,-,-)[/itex]. The Lagranagian for a real scalar field is

[tex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \dot{\Phi}^2- (\nabla \Phi)^2 - V(\Phi ) = \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi- V(\Phi ).[/tex]

From Noether Theorem we find the energy-momentum tensor

[tex]T^{\mu \nu} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \Phi)} \: \partial^\nu \Phi - \mathcal{L} g^{\mu \nu} = \partial^\mu \Phi \partial^\nu \Phi - \mathcal{L} g^{\mu \nu}.[/tex]

Now I want to derive this via varying the action

[tex]S = \int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4[/tex]

in respect to [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex]. In particular it holds

[tex]\delta S = \delta\int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4 = -\frac{1}{2}\int T_{\mu \nu} \delta g^{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4.[/tex]

[itex]T_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is defined so that varying the action derived from the total Lagrangian

[tex] \mathcal{L_{\rm tot}} = \frac{1}{16\pi G} R + \mathcal{L}[/tex]

yields the Einstein field equations

[tex]G_{\mu \nu} = 8\pi G T_{\mu \nu}.[/tex]

(Note that

[tex]\delta\int\frac{1}{16\pi G} R \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4 = \int G_{\mu \nu} \delta g^{\mu \nu}\sqrt{-g}\; dx^4, [/tex]

therefore the - sign in the definition of [itex]T_{\mu \nu}[/itex].)

Now let's vary the lagrangian of the scalar field:

[tex]\delta \int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4[/tex]
[tex] = \int \delta(\mathcal{L}) \sqrt{-g} + \mathcal{L} \delta(\sqrt{-g})\; dx^4[/tex]
[tex] = \int \delta \left( \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi- V(\Phi ) \right) \sqrt{-g} + \mathcal{L} \left(-\frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} \delta g^{\mu \nu}\right) \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1}{2}\int \left( \delta g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi - \mathcal{L} g_{\mu \nu} \delta g^{\mu \nu} \right) \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{1}{2}\int \left(\partial_\mu\Phi \;\partial_\nu\Phi - \mathcal{L} g_{\mu \nu} \right) \delta g^{\mu \nu} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4.[/tex]

Comparing this with the definition of the [itex]T_{\mu \nu}[/itex] yields

[tex]T_{\mu \nu} = -\partial_\mu \Phi \partial_\nu \Phi + \mathcal{L} g_{\mu \nu}[/tex]

leading to the opposite sign as derived by the Noether Theorem.

I would appreciate very much if somebody could explain why I get the sign wrong. I know this is a subtle (and possibly unimportant) issue but getting the wrong sign without understanding why gives a bad feeling. Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
According to Wald the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor from Noether's theorem agrees with the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor from varying the metric "up to a numerical factor." I do not know if the numerical factor is -1.

Wald says that in others cases, there is less agreement, and it is the energy-momentum arrived at by varying g that appears on the right of Einstein's equation.

If you have Wald, look near the bottom of page 457.

I first ran into differences between the canonical and symmetric energy-momentum tensors in section 12.10 of Jackson.

Last edited:
I think, I got the reason for the wrong sign. Since I used the signature [itex]g_{\mu \nu} = (+,-,-,-)[/itex] my definitions of [itex]T^{\mu \nu}[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{L_{\rm tot}}[/itex] are not correct. With my signature the correct expressions read as

[tex]\delta S = \delta\int \mathcal{L} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4 = +\frac{1}{2}\int T_{\mu \nu} \delta g^{\mu\nu} \sqrt{-g}\; dx^4.[/tex]

and

[tex] \mathcal{L_{\rm tot}} = -\frac{1}{16\pi G} R + \mathcal{L}.[/tex]

With this I get everything right. :-)

1. What is the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field?

The energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field is a mathematical quantity that describes the energy and momentum of a scalar field in space and time. It is a symmetric rank-2 tensor that contains 10 components, representing the energy density, momentum density, and stress in different directions.

2. What is the significance of the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field?

The energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field is significant because it is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It plays a crucial role in the equations that describe the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. What is the "sign problem" in relation to the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field?

The sign problem refers to the issue of determining the sign of the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field in certain situations, particularly in the presence of curved spacetime or in quantum field theory. This can be a challenging problem to solve and can lead to inconsistencies in calculations if not properly addressed.

4. How is the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field calculated?

The energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field can be calculated using the stress-energy tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the energy and momentum of a system. It can also be derived from the Lagrangian density, which is a function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its fields and their derivatives.

5. What are some applications of the energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field?

The energy-momentum tensor for a scalar field has numerous applications in physics, including in the study of cosmology, general relativity, and quantum field theory. It is also used in practical applications such as in the design of spacecraft trajectories and in the development of technologies such as gravitational wave detectors.