Register to reply

Powdered neodymium magnet

by kateman
Tags: magnet, neodymium, powdered
Share this thread:
kateman
Jul7-08, 12:21 AM
P: 117
I was watching this video on youtube called will it blend where they supposedly blended neodymium magnets into powder. I saw sparks coming from the process of it being powdered but I have read elsewhere that trying to file neodymium magnets is dangerous as it would be explosive.

I am not sure whether it truly is explosive or if the video is fake/didn't use real neodymium magnets. Which is right?

I have neodymium magnets and I know they do easily chip if allowed to come together at a fast rate, but I am not sure whether it is a danger or isn't.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
dwahler
Jul9-08, 02:46 PM
P: 12
I assume this is the video in question: http://www.willitblend.com/videos.as...&video=magnets

First of all, even two neodymium magnets of that size would be nearly impossible to separate by hand. Plus, all the rare-earth magnets I've seen are chrome-plated on the outside and have a rough, silvery texture when broken or chipped. I'm pretty sure the ones in the video are regular cheap ceramic magnets.
DyslexicHobo
Jul9-08, 03:05 PM
P: 248
I bought myself some Neodymium magnets to play with a while ago, and they are definitely not Neodymium. The magnets I have are about that size, and if I had that many and just clanked them together like that I'd break a finger.

And yeah, all mine are nickel plated so they are not as brittle. Neodymium magnets are extremely brittle without a hard coating (and even then they very brittle).

kateman
Jul10-08, 12:06 AM
P: 117
Powdered neodymium magnet

Thanks you guys. I just thought something was off with them.

Iam guessing that if the magnets chip as easily as they do, that they arn't explosive then either?
Otherwise there would be more warnings all over them when you buy them and I am guessing I would have heard about it on the news or something beforehand.
Anyone know?
LOL, iam not game enough to find out with my own

Register to reply