Light, thin but strong magnet?

In summary: In fact, if you look up "DIY magnet board", you'll see people using a cloth or burlap cover, there's no other purpose for it being there other than to cover it up so it blends in with the decor. Even a single layer of fabric will work. It's not a Faraday Cage, but it does dampen the magnetic strength quite a bit. As for the definition of touch, he said "I mean a light and very very thin solution, like a coating or something if posible." So I was suggesting a fabric type of cover (very thin). And yes, I agree that it's not a good idea to put strong magnets near a laptop. I was under the
ASoteldo
Hi everyone!

My knowledge of physics is very very basic, so I just found this great forum and I think it would be great to have a feedback from people who know.

I am in development of a project that involves a laptop sleeve and some magnets. I've already done my research and found that they doesn't really affect functioning of laptops unless they are really, really strong.

All over the internet, the answer is the same: neodymium magnets are the best choice. They are strong, light and come in many thicknesses, which seems to fit my needs. But here comes my questions:

1) How much does the thickness of the magnet affects the strenght of it? A lot? Not even too much to care? The idea is to attach things to the sleeve and, if wanted, carry it in a bagpack without concern of things falling from the sleeve.

2) Is there any way to isolate one of the "faces" (polarities) of a rounded neodymium magnet so it won't even "touch" the laptop? I mean a light and very very thin solution, like a coating or something if posible.

3) What happen if I put a lot of them across the sleeve in, let's say, squared enclosures? Are they going to start atracting one another? Is there a minimun distance I should keep between them?.

4) Are neodymium magnets "water resistant"? They will rust if the sleeve is washed by hand?

5) As I said, my knowledge is pretty basic, but I am really excited about learning. Any suggestion is widely welcome.

I am not sure if this is the correct section to post this thread, if is not, I would be pleased to be notified where I can post it.

Thanks a lot in advance. I am really pleased to find spaces like this one around the internet.

ASoteldo.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

ASoteldo said:
1) How much does the thickness of the magnet affects the strenght of it? A lot? Not even too much to care?

I would expect that the more material, the stronger the magnet

ASoteldo said:
2) Is there any way to isolate one of the "faces" (polarities) of a rounded neodymium magnet so it won't even "touch" the laptop? I mean a light and very very thin solution, like a coating or something if posible.

Isolation of a magnetic field is very difficult ... maybe a mu-metal shield

ASoteldo said:
3) What happen if I put a lot of them across the sleeve in, let's say, squared enclosures? Are they going to start atracting one another?

yes

ASoteldo said:
4) there a minimun distance I should keep between them?.

you would have to experiment with the particular ones you decide to buy
the distance will be proportional to strength
ASoteldo said:
Are neodymium magnets "water resistant"? They will rust if the sleeve is washed by hand?

they are plated ... chrome, I think ... the chrome won't rust etc, but if it is chipped then the material below will be exposed to the moisture and goes a sort of rusty brown, going by the one I have here on my bench
ASoteldo said:
I am not sure if this is the correct section to post this thread, if is not, I would be pleased to be notified where I can post it.

Thanks a lot in advance. I am really pleased to find spaces like this one around the internet.

yup a good place

hope that helps :smile:Dave

1. More is not always better. The thickness, not length, will determine the strength of the magnet.
2. A piece of cloth covering that side will do.
3. I assume that you are using magnets to keep the sleeve closed, you want them strong enough to prevent the laptop from sliding out, but you probably won't need to place so many that a few end up in the unintended positions (a long strip on each side would probably work and prevent that from happening).
4. They should already be surface-treated when you buy them, so don't grind them down or anything. It should be fine going through the wash, I have some garments/purses, even kids shoes, in my household that hold neodymium magnets.
5.This is good brand that my Husband has ordered for heavy duty projects. Block magnets attract at the sides too, which will allow you to place them side-by-side in a strip. These 2.5mm magnets have a pull force of 2.4 pounds, while the 3.2mm have 6 pounds. You may want to decide first depending upon the weight of the laptop, it should be able to stay clasped shut hanging upside down with the weight of the laptop against it (get aggressive with the sleeve for an extra measure to ensure it will not come unclasped). You may need to go stronger than those above. But the thicker ones will be bulkier, and you might want to keep in mind that stronger magnets may cause damage if they attract each other too quickly (not good if someone decided to use a tablet instead). You can order the same brand off other online retailers if you cannot find any in your local area.

Fervent Freyja said:
2. A piece of cloth covering that side will do.

only if it is physical separation that is wanted, else the magnetic field will penetrate the cloth as tho it isn't there

...tho his definition of touch was very vague
@ASoteldo what is your definition of touch in this case, magnetic shielding or just physical separation ??

Strong magnets against a laptop is not a wise idea... the magnetic fields could do substantial damage
Dave

davenn said:
only if it is physical separation that is wanted, else the magnetic field will penetrate the cloth as tho it isn't there

...tho his definition of touch was very vague
@ASoteldo what is your definition of touch in this case, magnetic shielding or just physical separation ??

Strong magnets against a laptop is not a wise idea... the magnetic fields could do substantial damage
Dave

Yes, if the magnet is strong enough, it will still attract through the cloth. Trust me, I have done lots of craft projects, it works. Manufacturers often use cloth over the magnet because it can be a choking hazard in products for children (if the magnet came loose). I have handbags with only one weak magnet that can support the contents of the bag (upside down) and have not had any issues with that magnet damaging my electronics inside...

1. What is a light, thin but strong magnet?

A light, thin but strong magnet is a type of magnet that has a high strength-to-weight ratio, meaning it is able to produce a strong magnetic field while being relatively light and thin. This type of magnet is often used in applications where weight and size are a concern, such as in electronic devices or medical equipment.

2. How is a light, thin but strong magnet made?

A light, thin but strong magnet is typically made from a combination of rare earth elements, such as neodymium, iron, and boron. These materials are processed and then formed into a magnet using a technique called sintering, which involves heating the materials to a high temperature and compressing them into a desired shape.

3. What are the advantages of using a light, thin but strong magnet?

The main advantage of using a light, thin but strong magnet is its high strength-to-weight ratio. This allows for the creation of smaller and lighter devices without sacrificing magnetic strength. Additionally, these magnets are highly resistant to demagnetization and have a long lifespan.

4. What are some common applications of light, thin but strong magnets?

Light, thin but strong magnets are used in a wide range of applications, including electronics, medical devices, and renewable energy systems. They are also commonly used in motors, speakers, and magnetic separation processes.

5. Are there any safety concerns when handling light, thin but strong magnets?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when handling light, thin but strong magnets. These magnets are very strong and can cause injury if they are mishandled or come in close contact with metal objects or other magnets. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and protective eyewear, when handling these magnets.