Mirror reflection

by cookiecrunch9
Tags: mirror, reflection
cookiecrunch9
Jul8-08, 12:43 PM
P: 1
Hello all,

I have a quick question. If i put two identical mirrors right next to each other on the same surface at the same level and stand in the middle of it will i see two of me or will it act like looking myself if that mirror was one single piece.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
DaveC426913
Jul8-08, 12:59 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by cookiecrunch9 View Post
Hello all,

I have a quick question. If i put two identical mirrors right next to each other on the same surface at the same level and stand in the middle of it will i see two of me or will it act like looking myself if that mirror was one single piece.

Thanks!
You mean one mirror in front of you and one behind? If they are perfectly parallel, you'll see one reflection in each mirror but only if all the other copies of you are completely eclipsed by the one in front. If you lifted your arm and waved at yourself, you'd see an inifinite regression of arms waving - to the limit of the mirrors reflectivity.

You see this all the time in barber shops.
jtbell
Jul8-08, 01:03 PM
Mentor
P: 11,239
My favorite local pizza restaurant (where I spend too much time to be good for my waistline) has mirrors on facing walls. The mirrors are not quite parallel, so I see a sequence of many images, gradually curving upward until they "disappear" beyond the top edge of the mirrors.

DaveC426913
Jul8-08, 01:38 PM
P: 15,325

Mirror reflection

Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
My favorite local pizza restaurant (where I spend too much time to be good for my waistline) has mirrors on facing walls. The mirrors are not quite parallel, so I see a sequence of many images, gradually curving upward until they "disappear" beyond the top edge of the mirrors.
Yep. In reality, the mirrors are rarely parallel, creating this curving effect.

Another common place: elevators with mirrored walls.

Register to reply