1 light year of mirror reflections?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of seeing events from the past by using mirrors and a device that slows down light. The first part suggests using a series of mirrors set up in a spiral to reflect images from a distance of one light year, with the last mirror angled to reflect open space. This could potentially allow one to see events from one year ago by looking into the first mirror. The second part proposes using a device that can slow down light, allowing one to see events from the past by looking through it. The speaker also mentions having a similar device at home with limited storage and the ability to only view events that have been captured.
BretN
Just a thought...I know it is impossible, but...
What would you see in a mirror if you set up millions of mirrors, each reflected to the next mirror (each not too far apart), maybe in a spiral format, so that the total distance of reflections was one light year. The last mirror was angled to just reflect the open space.
If you looked at the "1st" mirror and saw whatever was in front of the last mirror, would you be looking at a year back in time?

Science news on Phys.org
On the same idea... if we could create a "binocular" type device, but slow the light WAY down that passed through the device (so that it took 1 light year to go throught it), would you see 1 year into the past if you looked through it?

BretN said:
Just a thought...I know it is impossible, but...
What would you see in a mirror if you set up millions of mirrors, each reflected to the next mirror (each not too far apart), maybe in a spiral format, so that the total distance of reflections was one light year. The last mirror was angled to just reflect the open space.
If you looked at the "1st" mirror and saw whatever was in front of the last mirror, would you be looking at a year back in time?
Yes. If the light takes a year to get to you then you see events that happened a year ago at the source. If you look at the moon you don't see the moon where it is "now". You see it where it was about 1.3 seconds ago because that's how long it took the light from the moon to get to you.

BretN said:
On the same idea... if we could create a "binocular" type device, but slow the light WAY down that passed through the device (so that it took 1 light year to go throught it), would you see 1 year into the past if you looked through it?
I have a similar device at home. With some limitations I can delay the light anything from a few seconds up to a decade or more. Even watch the same event more than once. The only problem is I have to set the machine up in advance of the event. I can't watch events that I haven't captured. It's storage capacity is also limited. I can only store a few hundred hours of events so I delete the less interesting ones every now and again :-) Its not binocular so I can't see past events in 3D either.

1. What is a light year?

A light year is a unit of measurement used to describe the distance that light travels in one year. It is equivalent to approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers or 5.88 trillion miles.

2. Can light reflect off of mirrors?

Yes, light can reflect off of mirrors. In fact, mirrors are specifically designed to reflect light and produce clear images. This is due to the smooth surface of mirrors, which allows light to bounce off in a predictable and consistent manner.

3. How many times would light bounce off of mirrors in a light year?

Assuming the mirrors are positioned parallel to each other and the light source, light would bounce off of the mirrors an infinite number of times in a light year. This is because light travels at a constant speed and would continue bouncing back and forth between the mirrors until it reaches the end of the light year distance.

4. Would light lose energy or quality after reflecting off of mirrors for a light year?

No, light would not lose energy or quality after reflecting off of mirrors for a light year. Mirrors are designed to reflect light without altering its properties, so the light would maintain its energy and quality throughout the reflection process.

5. Can a light year of mirror reflections be used for practical purposes?

No, a light year of mirror reflections is not practical for any specific purpose. It is simply a theoretical concept used to understand the distance that light can travel and the behavior of light when it reflects off of mirrors.