Register to reply

Banana like fruit?

by tgt
Tags: banana, fruit
Share this thread:
tgt
Jul18-08, 08:53 PM
P: 468
What are some fruits like bananas? Especially its softness qualities.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
WarPhalange
Jul18-08, 09:00 PM
P: 343
Bananas, for one.
OAQfirst
Jul18-08, 09:00 PM
P: 65
Plantains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantain

lisab
Jul18-08, 09:23 PM
Mentor
P: 3,005
Banana like fruit?

Quote Quote by OAQfirst View Post
I bought a plantain once, out of curiosity. I found a recipe (you have to cook them). I'm not a picky eater but I found it close to terrible. Probably, if I had one prepared by someone who knew what they were doing, it wouldn't be so bad.

How about a very ripe mango? They're pretty soft. Or a ripe pear.
WarPhalange
Jul18-08, 09:27 PM
P: 343
They're all really juicy, though, even when soft (probably even juicier when softer).
Evo
Jul18-08, 09:29 PM
Mentor
P: 26,658
Quote Quote by tgt View Post
Just softness?? Pears, apricots, peaches, plums, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries...
yeeyee
Jul18-08, 09:29 PM
P: 5
Does anyone try inserting a banana into strawberry syrup mixed with milk and then inserting it again into chocolate ?
So yummy! :-D,
I have never eaten banana like that before.
fluidistic
Jul18-08, 09:35 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,225
I used to cook (in fact fry) plantains that I cut in a few parts. This is the way an African woman taught me to do them. I find them excellent. (Once I've tried to do the same with common bananas and the result was a disaster).
lisab
Jul18-08, 09:53 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by fluidistic View Post
I used to cook (in fact fry) plantains that I cut in a few parts. This is the way an African woman taught me to do them. I find them excellent. (Once I've tried to do the same with common bananas and the result was a disaster).
Yes, that was how I did it - cut it into sections, fry in butter, and then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on them.

But the fruit was a strange mealy texture, and the taste was....chalky is the best way to describe it. I probably chose a bad plantain, since I don't know what the criteria are for them.
LowlyPion
Jul18-08, 10:02 PM
HW Helper
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Yes, that was how I did it - cut it into sections, fry in butter, and then sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on them.

But the fruit was a strange mealy texture, and the taste was....chalky is the best way to describe it. I probably chose a bad plantain, since I don't know what the criteria are for them.
Plantain recipes:
http://www.gicco.com/recipes/plantains.htm

The amarillos (yellow) ones - ripe - you would make for dessert. Pretty much how you would do bananas for Foster but they are firmer. I bought a yellow by mistake once. I didn't like it as much as banana.

Never thought to do the green ones with garlic however. I think I will pass on that.
Math Is Hard
Jul18-08, 10:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,922
I'm getting really hungry now. I've had fried plantains with black beans at the local Cuban restaurant. They serve a really good garlic chicken there.

I think I would like to try this recipe:
Coconut Rice with Black Beans and Fried Plantains
rewebster
Jul18-08, 10:14 PM
P: 880
Quote Quote by tgt View Post
you can cigar roll some mashed potatoes --soft and off white like bananas
Ben Niehoff
Jul18-08, 11:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,594

Most plantains sold in the supermarket are green. If you want to make a dessert out of them, you have to let them ripen. They will turn yellow just like a regular banana, but for ideal ripeness, you want to let them start to turn black. Usually you have to wait about a week or so (sometimes two!).

Ripe plantains taste delicious...they have a unique, mellow, sweet flavor. Fry them in butter and get them to caramelize a bit. No brown sugar needed.

Unripe plantains are typically used like potatoes: you can bake them in the peel, or you can cut them thin and fry them to make chips. Add salt, butter, garlic, whatever.
lisab
Jul18-08, 11:28 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ben Niehoff View Post
Most plantains sold in the supermarket are green. If you want to make a dessert out of them, you have to let them ripen. They will turn yellow just like a regular banana, but for ideal ripeness, you want to let them start to turn black. Usually you have to wait about a week or so (sometimes two!).

Ripe plantains taste delicious...they have a unique, mellow, sweet flavor. Fry them in butter and get them to caramelize a bit. No brown sugar needed.

Unripe plantains are typically used like potatoes: you can bake them in the peel, or you can cut them thin and fry them to make chips. Add salt, butter, garlic, whatever.
OK then...even though it was a long time ago, I think it was green with yellow and black spots. Must have not been ripe yet.

Thanks Ben!
tgt
Jul19-08, 01:59 AM
P: 468
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Just softness?? Pears, apricots, peaches, plums, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries...
softness was important because I plan to put it on toast.
Moonbear
Jul19-08, 08:48 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270

They don't taste like bananas, they are more like potato. Tostones are delicious...eat them like french fries as a side dish or snack.

To make them, you first have to boil the plaintain pieces in salted water to make them soft, then smoosh them to make rounds, then deep fry them. A little salt and YUMMMMMMY! You can also press them into a little bowl shape and stuff with your favorite filling...i.e., seafood salad (my favorite filling).
fluidistic
Jul19-08, 08:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,225
Exactly! I forgot to say it, but even if it is yellow, it is not as tasty, as sweet as when it is almost all black. There is a big difference, and that may be why inexperienced people don't like plantains.
euler_fan
Jul19-08, 09:26 AM
P: 22
I grew up on plantains, so I recommend you only cook "ripe" plantains! Now, a personal favorite is "green bananas", yes green (not ripe) bananas -- not plantains. Prepare as if you were cooking mash potatoes. I think I am going on a trip this August!!!

Register to reply