How to make commutative 2X2 matrices

• Thread starter brooksofmaine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a 2X2 matrix M and a 2X2 matrix N in order to satisfy the equation MN = NM, with the focus on finding a rule for creating commutative matrices. Different approaches are suggested and discussed, including using the simplest matrix, finding conditions for a matrix to commute with all other matrices, and exploring the concept of the "standard basis" matrices. The conclusion is that the question of which matrices commute depends on the specific matrices involved, and while it is not difficult to find matrices that commute with a given matrix, there are only a limited number of matrices that commute with all other matrices.
brooksofmaine

Homework Statement

Create a 2X2 matrix M and a 2X2 matrix N such that MN = NM

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the simplest matrix you can think of?

Dick...thanks for replying. I have to go teach a class. Will respond soon.

Not trying to be flippant, the simplest 2X2 matrix for me would be

0 0
0 0

brooksofmaine said:
Not trying to be flippant, the simplest 2X2 matrix for me would be

0 0
0 0

That's a great choice. It commutes with any other matrix. Is that good enough?

Not good enough yet because I don't understand the rules behind creating a commutative 2X2 matrix. Here is my humble reasoning so far:

pretend there are two matrices:

a b w x
c d y z

The commutated versions would be

w x a b
y z c d

For them to be commutative then, for example, aw+by (the first step in multiplying the original matrices) would have to equal aw + cx (the first step in multiplying the commutated matrices).

so rule #1 is that aw+by=aw+cx
or simply by=cx.

Rule #1 looks pretty easy to handle.

But when I carry out the second step of matrix multiplication and set the original matrix product equal to the commutated matrix product, I get:

ax+bz = bw+dx

This equation doesn't simplify or help me much.
Neither do the equations for the steps 3 and 4 of the multiplication process.

So my approach to finding a rules for making commutative matrices looks as if it's going nowhere.

Is there a better approach?

You want to find the conditions on a matrix that will allow it to commute with all other matrices? Take a general matrix [[a,b],[c,d]] and see what the conditions are that it commute with [[1,0],[0,0]] and [[0,1],[0,0]]. (The inner brackets in my matrix notation represent the rows of the matrix).

You do understand, don't you that there is no one solution? Given any matrix, there exist an infinite number of matrices that commute with it.

Let's just say that the first matrix is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 4 \\ 5 & 2\end{array}\right][/tex]
(for no particular reason- I just made up that matrix)

Multiplying that on both left and right by
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right][/tex]
gives
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a+ 4c & 4a+ 2b \\ c+ 5d & 4c+ 2d\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}a+ 4c & b+ 4d \\ 5a+ 2c & 5b+ 2d\end{array}\right][/tex]

which gives the four equations a+ 5b= a+ 4c, 4a+ 2b= b+ 4d, c+ 5d= 5a+ 2c, and 4c+ 2d= 5b+ 2d. Those equations, of course, are NOT independent. Notice that both the first and fourth equations reduce to the same thing: 5b= 4c. As I said before there exist an infinite number of matrices which will commute with the one given.

We can also reduce 4a+ 2b= b+ 4d to 4a+ b= 4d and the third equation, c+ 5d= 5a+ 2c to 5d= 5a + c. From 5b= 4c, b= 4c/5. Then the second equation becomes 4a+ 4c/5= 4d or a= d- c/5. Putting a= d- c/5 into the last equation, 5d= 5d- c+ c which is automatically satisfied. Essentially that means that I can choose c and d to be anything I want and then solve for a and b.

If I take c= 5, d= 1, I get a= 1- 5/5= 0, b= 4(5)/5= 4. I will leave it to you to show that
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 4 \\5 & 2\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 4 \\ 5 & 1\end{array}\left]= \left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 4 \\ 5 & 1\end{array}\left]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 4 \\5 & 2\end{array}\right][/tex].

Or I can take c= 10 (obviously, choosing c a multiple of 5 avoids fractions), d= -2, we have that a= -2-2= -4 and b= 8
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 4 \\5 & 2\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{cc} -4 & 8 \\ 10 & -2\end{array}\left]= \left[\begin{array}{cc} -4 & 8 \\ 10 & -2\end{array}\left]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 4 \\5 & 2\end{array}\right][/tex].

A commutative matrix? One that commutes with all other matrices?

Bother! I just went to a lot of work for nothing!. I will say that Dick's suggestion is very good. If you have a matrix that will commute with every matrix, then it will have to commute with
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{array}\right][/tex]
and
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
the "standard basis" 2 by 2 matrices. You should find a fairly obvious answer.

Wow...you have given me much to look over and contemplate. I have some classes to teach now so I will reflect on your thoughts later. Thanks very much.

I'm kind of hoping that class you have to teach isn't Linear Algebra!:rofl:

I like the humor! The class is music composition, and linear algebra is new to me, but I'm fascinated by it. Maybe I'll work it in somehow. Meanwhile, I will study your posts.

So your hobby is linear algebra?? The summary (omitting details) of the previous posts is that the question of exactly which matrices commute depends on the details of the nature of the specific matrices. As Halls showed, it's not that hard to find matrices that commute with a given matrix. I was trying to show you how to show that the only matrices that commute with ALL other matrices are multiples of the identity.

My son Ian and I reviewed everything you so kindly wrote, and all is clear. If you ever need some commutative 2X2 matrices, just let me know and I'll prepare a few. Thanks for the truly helpful help.

1. How do I determine if a 2X2 matrix is commutative?

To determine if a 2X2 matrix is commutative, you need to multiply it with another 2X2 matrix and then switch the order of multiplication. If the result is the same, the matrix is commutative. For example, if A and B are both 2X2 matrices, and AxB = BxA, then the matrices are commutative.

2. Can any 2X2 matrix be commutative?

No, not all 2X2 matrices are commutative. The commutative property only applies to matrices that have the same dimension and contain only real numbers. Matrices with different dimensions or containing complex numbers may not be commutative.

3. How do I create a commutative 2X2 matrix?

To create a commutative 2X2 matrix, you need to choose four elements (a, b, c, d) and arrange them in a 2X2 matrix as follows: [a b; c d]. The order of the elements does not matter as long as they are arranged in the same way for both matrices. For example, [1 2; 3 4] and [4 2; 1 3] are both commutative.

4. Are there any special properties of commutative 2X2 matrices?

Yes, commutative 2X2 matrices have a special property known as the commutative property, which states that changing the order of multiplication between two matrices will not affect the result. This property is not applicable to all matrices, making commutative matrices unique and useful in certain applications.

5. How can commutative 2X2 matrices be used in real-world applications?

Commutative 2X2 matrices can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in geometric transformations, where the order of operations does not affect the final result. They are also used in cryptography, where the commutative property can help with secure data encryption and decryption.