Register to reply

When one becomes unconscious

by iBop
Tags: unconscious
Share this thread:
iBop
Aug10-08, 07:58 PM
P: 9
When one becomes unconscious, will his/her sexual genitals still be activated [sexual arousal, erection etc]?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
12 states now reporting severe respiratory illness that targets kids
Major U.S. food makers cut 6.4 trillion calories from products: report
Researchers discover how bacteria resist antibiotics in hospitals
Alex6200
Aug12-08, 07:29 PM
P: 75
Why do you want to know?

And I'm guessing that it's at least possible for them to be operable, after all men do experience nocturnal emissions while not conscious.
iBop
Aug12-08, 08:36 PM
P: 9
I would like to know if that happens when a man or a woman is, say, hit to unconscious.
After that will he/she be sexually enjoyable ? Many rapists do this, and I don't know about the victim.

kingdomof
Aug13-08, 06:50 PM
P: 97
When one becomes unconscious

Quote Quote by iBop View Post
When one becomes unconscious, will his/her sexual genitals still be activated [sexual arousal, erection etc]?
Considering unconsciousness regards the inability to operate higher executive functions of the brain and being that sexual arousal and secretions related are controlled by the sympathetic nervous system, which in theory should be functional, I would take a guess and say yes.
Alex6200
Aug13-08, 08:23 PM
P: 75
Yes but if you're not conscious how can you experience arousal? Yes, I think there could be bodily changes, but there wouldn't be arousal in the normal sense of the word.
Mk
Aug13-08, 10:29 PM
P: 2,056
Men who have been hanged sometimes have erections after death. Here's a wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_erection
Moonbear
Aug14-08, 09:26 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
I think you're trying to ask if it's plausible that a man can be raped after being knocked unconscious, at least in the sense of sustaining a sufficient erection for penetration to occur.

This will depend upon how the person ended up unconscious, drugs (and which drugs) or injury to the brain. I'm not going to go into details of which leads to an erection and which doesn't, because I really don't want to be giving any psychopaths ideas, but the simple answer is, yes, it's possible.

Comparisons to a state of sleeping aren't really ideal. Sleep and unconsciousness are not the same thing. When someone is knocked unconscious, they are not merely sleeping.

As for the article Mk posted, much of erectile function is a spinal reflex under inhibitory control from the brain. In situations where the brain inhibition is removed, such as spinal cord injuries in the cervical or upper thoracic regions of the spine, spontaneous erections can occur via the now uninhibited spinal reflex loop (the lumbar portion of the spinal cord needs to remain uninjured for this to occur). Of course, no perception of sensation accompanies these erections, since the spinal cord injury higher up prevents the sensory input from being relayed to the brain.
richardson
Aug16-08, 08:41 AM
P: 2
Nitroglycerin is usually given in a situation like that--if someone is there or the patient can get to it themselves in time.
If the patient is dead when the EMTs/medics arrive....then she is dead. There is nothing that can revive her. If someone had been there to give her oxygen, mouth to mouth...then obviously, they could have given the patient her needed medication, too. Right?
The name of the disease/attack? Heart attack can do that. So can congestive heart failure.
When your heart stops or fails to pump adequately your brain becomes starved of oxygen so you collapse, your muscles relax and so you fall to the floor.
What else do you think could happen.

Register to reply