Trig problem I can't see into

by Geekchick
Tags: trig
Share this thread:
Geekchick
Aug16-08, 09:43 PM
P: 74
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex]sinx-3cosx=0 solve in interval [0,2[tex]\pi[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

reciprocal identities, pythagorean identities, confunction identities, Even/odd identities, sum/difference formulas, double angle formulas, power reducing formulas, half-angle formulas, sum to product formulas, product to sum formulas. I am not sure how many of those are relevant but thats all the identities and formulas I have learned so far.

3. The attempt at a solution

To be quite honest I don't even know where to start with this problem : ( mostly the square root of three is throwing me. I have been trying to solve this for days so if anyone could so much as tell me what formulas or identites to use i would appreciate it. I'm just so lost.

Oh also I'm new to this forum, just found it tonight, so i just want to say hi to everyone!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
rock.freak667
Aug16-08, 09:58 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,202
[tex]\sqrt{3}sinx-3cosx=0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{3}sinx=3cosx[/tex]

Can you divide by cosx and go from there?
Gib Z
Aug16-08, 10:01 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,348
Welcome to PF Geekchick =]

In general, for things like a sin x +/- b cos x, we can combine them into a single sine term, using something known as the Auxiliary Angle method: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigono...r_combinations

EDIT: Damn, too late and a longer method. lol

Geekchick
Aug16-08, 10:16 PM
P: 74
Trig problem I can't see into

Thank you! Thank you! thank you! I didn't even think about the fact that sin/cos is equal to tan duh! *smacks head* I was trying to make things way more complicated. So just to be sure once I divide by cos I'm left with the (square root of 3)tan=3 which after dividing that by the (square root of 3) and simplifying I have tan= square root of 3 which in the interval [0,2pi) means my answer is (pi/3) and (4pi/3). Yay!
dynamicsolo
Aug19-08, 12:15 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,662
Quote Quote by Gib Z View Post
In general, for things like a sin x +/- b cos x, we can combine them into a single sine term, using something known as the Auxiliary Angle method: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigono...r_combinations

EDIT: Damn, too late and a longer method. lol
The "auxiliary angle" method is fine -- it's just "overkill" on the equation

a sin x + b cos x = c

in the case where c = 0. When you follow through with it for this problem, you get

[tex]sin(x - \frac{4 \pi}{3}) = 0 \Rightarrow x - \frac{4 \pi}{3} = ..., -\pi, 0, \pi, ...[/tex]

with the results in the fundamental circle being the two Geekchick has found. (I'm just elaborating on this since it's always good to know multiple methods for solving a problem and to confirm that they all give the same answer.)

Register to reply