Trig Identities -- example problem confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying an identity involving trigonometric functions, specifically ##-tan\frac{a}{2} = cot\left(a\right)-csc\left(a\right)##. The conversation includes a screenshot and a question about the example, and then suggests a simpler approach using substitutions. It is also mentioned that there may be issues with taking square roots in half angle formulas.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Back with more trig identities.

Verify that the following is an identity

##-tan\frac{a}{2} = cot\left(a\right)-csc\left(a\right)##

Homework Equations

All pythagorean identities, double angle formulas, half angle formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

In the picture that I've attached, I am confused about where I annotated with the blue arrow. If I have ##cos\left(a\right)-1## and multiply by -1, I get ##1-cos\left(a\right)##. Then I'm told by the example to square root and square this expression. However, it still keeps a negative out in front of the fraction. So how can I multiply by -1, to change the expression, and also keep a negative out front of the fraction that wasn't there before? Shouldn't it be one or the other?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 6.53.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 6.53.54 PM.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
opus said:

Homework Statement

Back with more trig identities.

Homework Equations

All pythagorean identities, double angle formulas, half angle formulas

The Attempt at a Solution

In the picture that I've attached, I am confused about where I annotated with the blue arrow. If I have ##cos\left(a\right)-1## and multiply by -1, I get ##1-cos\left(a\right)##. Then I'm told by the example to square root and square this expression. However, it still keeps a negative out in front of the fraction. So how can I multiply by -1, to change the expression, and also keep a negative out front of the fraction that wasn't there before? Shouldn't it be one or the other?
Aside from the fact that the example may be poorly worded, do you agree that
##\frac{cos α - 1}{\sqrt{1-cos^2α}}=-\frac{\sqrt{(1-cos α)^2}}{\sqrt{1-cos^2α}}##

Likes opus and Charles Link
To keep the expression unchanged, you need to multiply it by ## (-1)(-1)=+1 ##. ## \\ ## Alternatively, you can convert ## \cos(\alpha)-1 ## to ## 1-\cos(\alpha) ## if you factor out ## -1 ##. You don't simply multiply by ## -1 ##. It is poorly worded.

Likes opus
tnich said:
Aside from the fact that the example may be poorly worded, do you agree that
##\frac{cos α - 1}{\sqrt{1-cos^2α}}=-\frac{\sqrt{(1-cos α)^2}}{\sqrt{1-cos^2α}}##
Charles Link said:
To keep the expression unchanged, you need to multiply it by ## (-1)(-1)=+1 ##. ## \\ ## Alternatively, you can convert ## \cos(\alpha)-1 ## to ## 1-\cos(\alpha) ## if you factor out ## -1 ##. You don't simply multiply by ## -1 ##. It is poorly worded.

So if I were to multiply by (-1) solely, I would say that there should not be a negative preceding the fraction.
So are we saying that we multiplied the numerator and denominator by (-1) because you have to do the same to both? And in doing so, the numerator expresson changed, but there was still a negation in the denominator and we just pulled it out front?
Or did we just multiply the numerator by (-1) to change the expression, then multiply it again by (-1) to keep the original value?

Charles Link said:
So we can multiply by (-1) to get the expression in the form that we want, but that changes the value of the expression. So we can keep the new form, but we have to multiply by (-1) again to keep its original value. And this is okay because (-1)(-1)=1, and multiplying by 1 doesn't change the value. Is this correct?

Likes Charles Link
opus said:
A much simpler approach than the one shown in the screen shot:
Let ##x = \frac a 2##
Then the identity above becomes ##-\tan(x) = \cot(2x) - \csc(2x)##
In just a few steps you can go from the right side to the left, after converting the expressions on the right to expressions involving only sine and cosine, and some double angle identies.

Likes opus and Charles Link
The way shown by @Mark44 is also much more mathematically solid, in the sense that when you start taking square roots in the half angle formulas, depending on the quadrant of the angle of interest, you can't always choose the positive square root. This one happened to work for every quadrant, and every possible choice of angle ## a ##, but there really was no guarantee without a more solid proof.

Likes opus
Mark did you simply double all the angles there? This is allowed? I've been having serious issues with these identities. They take me over an hour each usually. Been putting in a lot of practice time with them but its coming very slowly. I think I have a misunderstanding of what is allowed and what isnt.

opus said:
Mark did you simply double all the angles there?
Basically, I just did a substitution.
My work looks like this:
Prove that ##-\tan(\frac a 2) = \cot(a) - \csc(a)##
Let ##x = \frac a 2##
The first identity then becomes, "Prove that ##-\tan(x) = \cot(2x) - \csc(2x)##
I then proved that the right side can be simplified to the expression on the left, using only the most basic identities (e.g, ##\cot(\theta) = \frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta)}## and similar), and double angle identities.
The only thing remaining is to "undo" the substitution, by replacing x with a/2. This proves that ##-\tan(\frac a 2) = \cot(a) - \csc(a)##.
Clear?

opus said:
I think I have a misunderstanding of what is allowed and what isnt.
You're always allowed to make simple substitutions, as long as you're consistent in what you change.

For example, your textbook probably proved the addition formula ##\cos(a + b) = \cos(a)\cos(b) - \sin(a)\sin(b)## first, then replaced b with a to get the double angle formula for cosine: ##\cos(a + a) = \cos(2a) = \cos^2(a) - \sin^2(a)##. It might have done something similar to get the half-angle formula.

Likes opus
Ohhh! That makes sense. I'm glad you said that because I had my midterm today and there was a similar question where I did this same thing after reading this. Very helpful, thank you!

OP,

I would like to add something. I remember memorizing all these trigonometric identities was a pain in the butt. Plus you'll probably forget them in less than a year (talking from experience) just remember this
upload_2018-5-4_23-10-0.png

and you should be good. All these verifying trigonometric identities can be solved using these formulas. You can solve your problem using these formulas, much easier IMO. Otherwise I have to go digging through trigonometric formulas I have forgotten.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-4_23-10-0.png
    upload_2018-5-4_23-10-0.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 290
Likes tnich

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions and equations.

2. How do I know which trig identities to use in a given problem?

The key to using trigonometric identities is to recognize patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions. It is important to practice and become familiar with the common identities and their applications in order to effectively use them in problem-solving.

3. What is the purpose of using trig identities in problem-solving?

Trigonometric identities are useful tools in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations involving trigonometric functions. They can also help in proving mathematical statements and making connections between different trigonometric concepts.

4. How do I know if I am using the correct trig identity in a problem?

It is important to carefully analyze the given problem and determine the most efficient way to solve it. If you are unsure which identity to use, try simplifying the expression using basic trigonometric identities and see if you can make any progress towards the solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trig identities?

One common mistake is to confuse similar-looking identities, such as the Pythagorean identities and double angle identities. It is also important to be careful with sign conventions and to check for extraneous solutions when solving equations using trig identities.