Understanding the Relationship Between Energy, Mass, and Momentum in Relativity

In summary, according to relativity, kinetic energy is defined as a relativistic form of classical energy, and is derivable from the momentum equation.
mysearch
Gold Member
Hi, I am trying to quickly resolve a fairly basic question that cropped when considering relativity. Classically, the total energy of a system is often described in term of 3 components:

Total Energy = Rest Mass + Kinetic + Potential

If I ignore potential energy, i.e. a particle moving in space far from any gravitational mass, then I assume the general form above can be reduced to:

[1] [tex]E_T = m_o c^2 + 1/2mv^2[/tex]

Now [tex]m_o[/tex] is the rest mass, while I assume [m] has to be described as the relative mass as a function of its velocity [v], i.e.

[2] [tex]m = \frac {m_o}{\sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)}}[/tex]

However, relativity also introduces the idea of relativistic momentum:

[4] [tex] p = mv = \frac {m_o v}{\sqrt{(1-v^2/c^2)}}[/tex]

However, the following link show the definition of `Relativistic Energy in Terms of Momentum’: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/relmom.html#c4 which I have expanded to the following form:

[5] [tex]E_X^2 = m_o^2 c^4 + p^2c^2 = m_o^2 c^4 + m^2v^2c^2[/tex]

Now my initial assumption was that [tex][E_X \equiv E_T][/tex], but examination of equations [1] and [5] suggests that this cannot be the case. Could somebody explain my error or the difference in the implied energy of these 2 equations?

As a side issue, energy is a scalar quantity, while momentum is a vector quantity. I see how multiplying [p] by [c] gets us back to the units of energy, but was slightly unsure about the maths of mixing these quantities. Would appreciate any clarification of the issues raised. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Whilst you're initial assumption is correct, i.e. the total energy of a body is the sum of it's rest energy, kinetic energy and potential energy; your expression isn't. You're mixing classical and relativistic terms.

mysearch said:
[tex]E_T = m_o c^2 + 1/2mv^2[/tex]

Note that [itex]E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] is a strictly classical definition of kinetic energy, you can't simply substitute the relativistic mass for m. Instead, the relativistic kinetic energy is defined as [itex]E_k = \gamma m_0 c^2 - m_0 c^2[/itex] and is derivable from the expression for momentum.

mysearch said:
As a side issue, energy is a scalar quantity, while momentum is a vector quantity. I see how multiplying [p] by [c] gets us back to the units of energy, but was slightly unsure about the maths of mixing these quantities.

It is perfectly acceptable to multiply a vector by a scalar, in fact scalar multiplication is one of the operations which defines a vector space. Simply put, to multiply a vector by a scalar you simply multiply each of the components of the vector by the scalar quantity.

For example suppose we have a vector [itex]\bold{v} = \left(v_1, v_2, v_3\right)[/itex] and a scalar [itex]a[/itex]. Then:

[tex]a\cdot\bold{v} = a\cdot\left(v_1, v_2, v_3\right) = \left(a\cdot v_1, a\cdot v_2, a\cdot v_3\right)[/tex]

[1] is wrong. You can't use the non-relativistic formula for kinetic energy. The kinetic energy is [itex]mc^2-m_0c^2[/itex].

Edit: D'oh, I was too slow again.

Mysearch, if you want to see a derivation, check out #15 in this thread. Read the stuff at the end first to see the difference between your notation and mine.

Last edited:

Hootenanny said:
Note that [itex]E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] is a strictly classical definition of kinetic energy, you can't simply substitute the relativistic mass for m. Instead, the relativistic kinetic energy is defined as [itex]E_k = \gamma m_0 c^2 - m_0 c^2[/itex] and is derivable from the expression for momentum.
You can also take this expression for kinetic energy and do a Taylor series expansion about v = 0. When you do that you recover the classical definition of kinetic energy as the first term.

Many thanks for both quick responses.
I will follow up on the clarifications and link provided.
I have another issue, related to the conservation of energy,
but will raise it in a separate thread.
Thanks again.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the response in #2, #3 & #4. You were all right to point to equation [1], as [tex][1/2mv^2][/tex] is only a low speed approximation.

Thanks for the clarification in #2 about scalars and vectors, I was aware that you could multiply a vector by a scalar, which gives you a vector, but as I was looking for an issue that would explain the 'apparent' discrepancy. The issue that I was worrying about was linked to the equation [tex]E^2 = m_o^2 c^4 + p^2c^2[/tex] and the concern (mistakenly) that a momentum vector was being added to scalar energy. Anyway, really appreciated the help.

What is energy-momentum?

Energy-momentum is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between energy and momentum in a system. It is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

What is the difference between energy and momentum?

Energy is a measure of an object's ability to do work, while momentum is a measure of an object's motion. Energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude, while momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How are energy and momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. Similarly, the law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time.

What is the role of energy-momentum in collisions?

In collisions, energy-momentum is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects involved. The total energy and momentum of the system before and after the collision must be equal, allowing us to calculate the velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.

How does energy-momentum relate to the theory of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, energy and momentum are combined into a single concept of four-momentum, which takes into account the effects of time and space. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of objects at high speeds.