Twin Paradox: Question on the Effects of Speed and Gravity on Time

In summary, the Twin Paradox is a standard scenario in the theory of special relativity, but it does not work when there is gravity. In the general theory of relativity, clocks in a strong gravitational field tick more slowly, counteracting the time dilation effect. The Hafele-Keating experiment and GPS satellite clocks take both time dilation effects into account.
AaronTFoley
I have a question about the Twin Paradox. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but that's why I figured I would come here to ask.

The way I understand things is that the twin on Earth's clock would end up being faster than the twin's clock out in deep space if the twin out in space was approaching the speed of light. Wouldn't the twin out in deep space be more massive due to traveling at the speed of light since as a object with mass approaches the speed of light it mass increases therefore never letting it exceed the speed of light? So if he is getting more massive, wouldn't he then be more effected by gravity and therefore his clock would speed up due to the gravitational force?

Like I said I don't know if these have already been stated, but it was something that made me think this morning.

Thanks for your time,
Aaron T Foley

Physics news on Phys.org
In the twin paradox, we assume there's no gravity (like we assume spherical cows).

The twin paradox is a "standard scenario" in the theory of special relativity, which doesn't work when there's gravity.

The general theory of relativity is required when there's gravity, and it is within that theory that gravity affects time. But I haven't thought about what happens to the twin paradox within that theory.

Just a general consideration. In the general theory of relativity, clocks in a strong gravitational field tick more slowly. Considering the effect of the Earth's gravity, the clock on the Earth will tick more slowly than the spaceship clock, counteracting the "standard scenario" time dilation effect, as you intuited. It's not intuitively clear to me which of the many time dilation effects will win out.

One experiment which compared special and general relativistic time dilations was the Hafele-Keating experiment. Both time dilations are also taken into account in keeping GPS satellite clocks synchronized with those on earth. Apparently, "For a low Earth orbiter such as the Space Shuttle, the velocity is so great that slowing due to time dilation is the dominant effect, while for a GPS satellite clock, the gravitational blueshift is greater. (http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2003-1/)"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in the theory of relativity that explores the concept of time dilation. It involves two identical twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their stationary twin due to the effects of time dilation.

2. How does the Twin Paradox challenge our understanding of time?

The Twin Paradox challenges our understanding of time because it shows that time is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. In this scenario, the traveling twin experiences time passing slower than the stationary twin, leading to a difference in their ages when they reunite.

3. Is the Twin Paradox a real phenomenon or just a thought experiment?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment used to illustrate the principles of time dilation in the theory of relativity. While it may seem counterintuitive, it has been confirmed through experiments with atomic clocks on high-speed planes and satellites.

4. Can the Twin Paradox be applied to real-life scenarios?

While the Twin Paradox may seem like a purely theoretical concept, it has practical applications in fields such as space travel and GPS technology. Understanding time dilation is crucial for accurately measuring time and navigating in space.

5. Is the Twin Paradox still a topic of scientific debate?

While the principles behind the Twin Paradox have been confirmed through experiments, there are still ongoing debates about the implications and interpretations of this thought experiment. Some scientists argue that the paradox can be resolved by considering the effects of acceleration and deceleration on the traveling twin's experience of time.