Mechanical vibration and shock control

In summary: Material fails is it because of lone factor "excitation frequncy reaches more than the natural frequency?".The influencing factors are the basics of fatigue and strength of materials. If you excite a structure's natural frequency, it can take no time at all for that structure to reach its fatigue life. It gets amplified by the fact that the alternating stresses can be quite a bit higher than one would expect at any other operating point. Take a look at a basic S-N diagram to get an idea about this.
sri.karmarkar
Please could anyone help me on the topic "Controlling the vibration and shocks received by elctronic-mechanical components"?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. Take a year or two of college classes and then learn more under a mentor in the field.

Can you be a bit more specific with your request?

Thank you fred for your reply and suggestions.

I will start learning on the topic and will be enquiring where i get strucked. I will try to mention the topic more specific.

The first query from me
"What is natural frequency and how it can be obtained or estimated?".

The natural frequency is a vibration mode that is inherent to all structures. It is the frequency that the structure will vibrate at if the body is given a single impulse. In other words, it is the frequency that the body will vibrate at on its own, without an external forcing of any kind other than an initial "push."

Natural frequencies are calculated as well as measured through various techniques such as modal analysis.

Thanks fred.
Where can i get an example of calculating the natural frequency by modal analysis?
Please help me. Any links so that i can get a clear picture on this?

try this
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5954-7957E.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much rb.. let me go through this.

How the materials fails when it is subjected to excitation?
what are the influencing factors?
Material fails is it because of lone factor "excitation frequncy reaches more than the natural frequency?".

The influencing factors are the basics of fatigue and strength of materials. If you excite a structure's natural frequency, it can take no time at all for that structure to reach its fatigue life. It gets amplified by the fact that the alternating stresses can be quite a bit higher than one would expect at any other operating point. Take a look at a basic S-N diagram to get an idea about this.

[quote="sri.karmarkar]Material fails is it because of lone factor "excitation frequncy reaches more than the natural frequency?". [/quote]
The point to be worried about is when the excitation frequency matches the natural frequency. If you are above or below it, you shouldn't need to worry about it. Even if you do reach the natural frequency, sometimes it's not a big deal due to the design or the system's ability to dmpen vibrations. Still if you are close to the natural frequency, you need to know what the result will be. You can't ignore it. This is why we do things like shaker and modal testing.

1. What is mechanical vibration and shock control?

Mechanical vibration and shock control is the study and application of techniques and technologies to reduce or eliminate unwanted vibrations and shocks in mechanical systems. It involves understanding the causes of vibrations and shocks and implementing measures to control and minimize their effects.

2. What are the sources of mechanical vibration and shock?

The sources of mechanical vibration and shock can include external forces such as wind, earthquakes, and impacts, as well as internal sources such as rotating or reciprocating machinery, unbalanced loads, and structural resonances.

3. How does mechanical vibration and shock affect machinery?

Mechanical vibration and shock can cause damage to machinery and equipment, leading to increased maintenance costs, reduced efficiency, and even complete failure. It can also impact the safety and comfort of operators and users, and affect the performance and accuracy of sensitive equipment.

4. What are some common methods for controlling mechanical vibration and shock?

There are several methods for controlling mechanical vibration and shock, including isolation, damping, and absorbers. Isolation involves physically separating the source of vibration or shock from the rest of the system. Damping involves dissipating the energy of vibrations through materials or devices. Absorbers are used to reduce the amplitude of vibrations by providing a counteracting force.

5. What are the benefits of effective mechanical vibration and shock control?

Effective mechanical vibration and shock control can lead to improved safety, reduced maintenance costs, extended equipment lifespan, and increased productivity and efficiency of machinery. It can also improve the overall comfort and usability of machines and equipment for operators and users.