Spring and damper on rocker

• Automotive
  • Thread starter LowBlackFast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damper Spring
In summary, the conversation is about an idea to use a progressive pull spring and a digressive shock on a rocker to control the timing and rotation of an axle. The person is unsure about the math behind it and wonders if it would act like a series mass damper. They also mention wanting timed compliance while maintaining torque at the axle.
LowBlackFast
Can someone help me evaluate an idea that I have?
I'm investigating the idea of placing a very progressive pull spring and a digressive shock on a rocker to control the timing and rotation of an axle.

I could be way off, but here's the scenario in my head. Both shock and spring are being pulled when a torque is applied. Spring is progressive, eventually hitting a bushing and going solid. The shock is digressive in rebound and significantly stiffer than the spring at high speed. But as the spring goes solid rotation speed of the axle will decrease. As the velocity decreases the shock becomes softer, thus allowing rotational compliance that can be "timed"

I apologize in advance if I'm ignoring some fundamentals. I believe this would act in a similar manner as a series mass damper? I'm not sure on the math. It's kinda over my head.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-15 162118.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-15 162118.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 64
Engineering news on Phys.org
What I'm aiming to gain is timed compliance while maintaining the torque applied at the axle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Hi LowBlackFast. This site explains the spring mass damper. https://www.shimrestackor.com/Physics/Spring_Mass_Damper/spring-mass-damper.htm

When you add all the forces of each component (the load, the damper, and the spring) you get a 2nd order differential equation. The solution the characteristic equation are the constants are tau and zeta. It seems like you are wanting the frequency which is a function of tau and zeta.

Last edited:

1. What is a spring and damper on a rocker?

A spring and damper on a rocker is a mechanical system that consists of a spring and a damper attached to a rocker arm. The spring provides resistance to the movement of the rocker arm, while the damper helps to control the speed of the movement.

2. What is the purpose of a spring and damper on a rocker?

The purpose of a spring and damper on a rocker is to absorb and dissipate energy, which helps to reduce vibrations and increase stability in the system. This is particularly useful in applications where there is a need for controlled and smooth movement.

3. How does a spring and damper on a rocker work?

A spring and damper on a rocker work together to provide a balanced force that opposes the movement of the rocker arm. The spring stores energy when compressed and releases it when stretched, while the damper absorbs energy and dissipates it as heat. This combination of forces helps to control the movement of the rocker arm.

4. What are some common applications of a spring and damper on a rocker?

A spring and damper on a rocker can be found in various applications, such as suspension systems in vehicles, shock absorbers in bicycles, and even in musical instruments like guitar tremolo systems. They are also commonly used in industrial machinery and equipment to reduce vibrations and improve stability.

5. How do you choose the right spring and damper for a rocker system?

The choice of spring and damper for a rocker system depends on various factors such as the weight of the rocker arm, the desired movement and speed, and the amount of force needed to control the movement. It is important to consider these factors and consult with a mechanical engineer to select the most suitable spring and damper for your specific application.