Register to reply

Does Ice evaporate?

by Chaos' lil bro Order
Tags: evaporate
Share this thread:
Chaos' lil bro Order
Sep12-08, 12:16 PM
P: 683
Greetings, I was curious to know if ice evaporates. I suspect it does to a very slight degree but to what degree I am not sure. It likely depends on a plethora of factors, from ice temperature, outside temperature, humidity, sunlight, wind, etc. So if you have any leads for me I'd appreciate it, thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
turbo
Sep12-08, 12:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Google "sublimation"
stephanieluis
Sep28-08, 11:39 PM
P: 1
NO, 0 degrees Celcius is the freezing point of water and the melting point of Ice. Snow and Ice must be above 0 degrees celcius to melt to water and then the water will start to evaporate.
-------------------
Stephanieluis

matthyaouw
Sep29-08, 12:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
Does Ice evaporate?

By definition, evapouration is the conversion of a liquid to vapour so technically no, but yes sublimation does occur.
St. Aegis
Sep29-08, 02:17 PM
P: 45
at a certain pressure and a certain temperature, ice will nearly instantly change from the solid state to the gas state. I recommend looking at water's phase graph and see where on the graph it would happen. I believe the y axis is pressure and x axis is temperature. The graph should be divided into 3 regions, liquid, gas and solid. Look for the border between solid and gas and that is the region where sublimation occurs
Cvan
Sep29-08, 02:22 PM
P: 87
Look up a "phase diagram" for water. See the point where the three lines meet? The region on the top left is where water's a solid (cold, high pressure). Top right is liquid (warmer, normal pressure). Bottom right is gas (warm, low pressure).

If you're at such a low pressure and cold temperature that you start off below the point where the lines meet (and you're still a solid), and you keep your pressure constant as you heat it up..you'll make the water go into sublimation without becoming a liquid.

Register to reply