Proving the Intersection of Semi-Intervals is Empty Set?

In summary, the homework statement is: If tried with mathematical induction, we would need to know the procedure follows: this would be my P(n) statement: ⋂_(n=1)^∞▒〖(0,1/n]=∅〗
emira

Homework Statement

Prove that: ⋂_(n=1)^∞▒〖(0,1/n]=∅〗

Homework Equations

If tried with mathematical induction, we would need to know the procedure follows:
This would be my P(n) statement: ⋂_(n=1)^∞▒〖(0,1/n]=∅〗

now we would need to find out if P(1) is true and then assume P(k) for some k[tex]\geq[/tex]1, is true. Then we would need to prove the statement P(k+1) is also true.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using induction, but our professor, nor the book explained any examples that actually go to infinity, all we covered and proved with induction has been up to "n".

Thus my thinking consists of taking the semiintervals:
a) (0,1/1]∩(0,1/2]=(0,1/2]
so it continues for even smaller semiintervals, and the intersection between a bigger semi-interval with a larger semi-interval is the smaller of the two...up to the point of having

(0,1/(huge nr close to ∞)]∩(0,1/∞]=(0,1/∞]=(0,0]

The only thing I cannot explain is since this semi-interval contains zero, how can it be an empty set? So if someone could give me an idea or a hint, anything at all, I would appreciate it a lot!

emira

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want to prove is that for any x in the reals, x is not in the intersection of (0,1/n] for all n. So all you have to do is given x, find an n such that (0,1/n] does not contain x.

What does x as a real number have to do with it though? what we have to prove is that the infinite intersection of this semi-intervals that get smaller and smaller, is an empty set.
plus how could i prove that x is not an element of the small interval, and how does that help me into proving what i have to prove?

If x<=0 it isn't in any of the intervals, so it's not in the intersection. If x>0 can you show there is an n such that 1/n<x? If so then it isn't in (0,1/n] so it's not in the intersection. I assumed you were working over the reals. The rationals are ok too. Pick an integer n greater than 1/x. If n>1/x then x>1/n, right?

Last edited:

What is advanced calculus?

Advanced calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables, such as vectors and matrices. It extends the concepts of basic calculus to higher dimensions and is used to solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is a proof in advanced calculus?

A proof in advanced calculus is a logical and rigorous demonstration that a mathematical statement or theorem is true. It involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

Why are proofs important in advanced calculus?

Proofs are important in advanced calculus because they provide a rigorous basis for mathematical concepts and allow us to understand the underlying principles behind complex theories. They also help us to verify the validity of mathematical statements and to develop new ideas and applications.

What are some common techniques used in advanced calculus proofs?

Some common techniques used in advanced calculus proofs include induction, contradiction, direct and indirect proofs, and the use of limit theorems and continuity. Additionally, techniques from other areas of mathematics such as linear algebra and topology may also be applied.

How can I improve my skills in understanding advanced calculus proofs?

Improving your skills in understanding advanced calculus proofs requires a strong foundation in basic calculus concepts, as well as practice and perseverance. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a knowledgeable mentor or to join a study group to discuss and solve proofs together.