Prove that function tends to 0 everywhere in this interval

In summary, the given problem requires us to prove that the function f(x) as defined in the conversation converges to 0 for all values of a in the interval [0,1]. The proof is done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, where we take an arbitrary epsilon and show that there exists a delta that satisfies the limit definition. The proof also uses the assumption that An and Am have no members in common if m is not equal to n.
lordianed

Homework Statement

From Spivak: Suppose that ##A_{n}## is, for each natural number ##n##, some finite set of numbers in ##[0,1]##, and that ##A_n## and ##A_m## have no members in common if ##m\neq n##. Define f as follows:
##f(x) = \frac{1}{n}##, if ##x \in A_n##
##f(x) = 0##, if ##x \notin A_n## for all ##n##​
Prove that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x) = 0## for all ##a## in ##[0,1]##.

Homework Equations

Epsilon-Delta definition of a limit

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to follow micromass' suggestion, so I would be delighted if someone could assist me. My main concern is that I did not really make use of the assumption that ##A_n## and ##A_m## have no members in common if ##m\neq n##.
micromass said:
So ask somebody to rip apart your proof completely.

Proof: We first prove the limit tends towards ##0## for all ##a## in the open interval ##(0,1)##. So let ##\epsilon >0## be arbitrary, and let ##a## be an arbirtrary element of ##(0,1)##. We can find some natural number ##n_{\epsilon}## such that for all ##m\in \mathbb{N}## for which ##m\geq n_{\epsilon}##, ##\frac{1}{m} < \epsilon##, so there is only a finite number of natural numbers ##1,...,n_{\epsilon}-1## whose reciprocals are greater than ##\epsilon##, and therefore finitely many ##y\in [0,1]## for which ##|f(y)| > \epsilon##. Hence, we will be able to find a neighbourhood of ##a## which does not contain any of the ##y##'s, and hence there exists a ##\delta## such that for all ##x##, ##0<|x-a|<\delta## implies ##|f(x)|<\epsilon##. For the endpoint ##0##and ##1##, the right and left hand limits both tend to 0 respectively, and since ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x \notin [0,1]##, we can conclude that ##\lim_{x\to 0}f(x) = \lim_{x\to 1}f(x) = 0##.

Physics news on Phys.org
lordianed said:
My main concern is that I did not really make use of the assumption that ##A_n## and ##A_m## have no members in common if ##m\neq n##.
That assumption is (implicitly) used in the definition of the function ##f##. If ##A_n## and ##A_m## have members in common, ##f## is not well-defined.

Likes lordianed
Samy_A said:
If AnA_n and AmA_m have members in common, ff is not well-defined.
Oh right, thanks Samy, I did not catch that :oldbiggrin:

Hi lordianed ! This exercise is very much like the previous one you put on PF a few days ago.

Assume that your function converges to a limit ##\ell## as ##x\rightarrow a##. Assume that ## a \in ]0,1[## and adapt the definition for ##a\in\{0,1\}##.

So you have,

##\forall \epsilon > 0,\ \exists\delta >0\ \forall x\in [0,1] \ ( x\in[ a - \delta , a + \delta ] \Rightarrow |f(x) - l | \le \epsilon) ##

You need to show that in ##[ a - \delta , a + \delta ]##, there is an element ##x_0## that belongs to none of the ##A_n##. In which case ## |\ell| = |f(x_0) - \ell | \le \epsilon##. That proves that if the limit exists, it has to be zero.

geoffrey159 said:
Hi lordianed ! This exercise is very much like the previous one you put on PF a few days ago.

Assume that your function converges to a limit ##\ell## as ##x\rightarrow a##. Assume that ## a \in ]0,1[## and adapt the definition for ##a\in\{0,1\}##.

So you have,

##\forall \epsilon > 0,\ \exists\delta >0\ \forall x\in [0,1] \ ( x\in[ a - \delta , a + \delta ] \Rightarrow |f(x) - l | \le \epsilon) ##

You need to show that in ##[ a - \delta , a + \delta ]##, there is an element ##x_0## that belongs to none of the ##A_n##. In which case ## |\ell| = |f(x_0) - \ell | \le \epsilon##. That proves that if the limit exists, it has to be zero.
Thanks Geoffrey, I'll try that method too. However I asked to have my proof ripped apart so to say, I already have tried proving it and would love to see people point out any flaws in my argument in the original post.

1. What does it mean for a function to tend to 0 everywhere in an interval?

When a function tends to 0 everywhere in an interval, it means that as the input values of the function approach any value within that interval, the output values approach 0. In other words, the function gets closer and closer to 0 as the input values get closer and closer to any value within the interval.

2. How can I prove that a function tends to 0 everywhere in an interval?

To prove that a function tends to 0 everywhere in an interval, you can use the formal definition of a limit. This involves showing that for any small positive value, there exists a corresponding small interval around the input value such that the output values of the function within that interval are within the given small value distance from 0.

3. Can a function tend to 0 everywhere in an interval without actually reaching 0?

Yes, a function can tend to 0 everywhere in an interval without actually reaching 0. This means that the function gets arbitrarily close to 0, but may never actually equal 0. This can be seen with functions that have asymptotes, such as the function f(x) = 1/x.

4. What is the significance of proving that a function tends to 0 everywhere in an interval?

Proving that a function tends to 0 everywhere in an interval is important because it shows that the function is approaching a constant value and not increasing or decreasing without bound. This can have applications in various mathematical and scientific fields, as well as in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any special cases where a function may not tend to 0 everywhere in an interval?

Yes, there are special cases where a function may not tend to 0 everywhere in an interval. One example is when the function has a discontinuity within the interval, such as a jump or a vertical asymptote. In these cases, the function may not approach 0 as the input values approach a certain point in the interval. Additionally, if the function is constantly equal to a non-zero value within the interval, it would not tend to 0 everywhere.