Amp hours to Farads conversion

• Thread starter just.karl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amp
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using capacitors instead of lead acid batteries for an E-bike, with the main concern being the shorter range. The experts explain that 1 Farad is equivalent to 1 Ampere second per Volt, and to achieve the same 1 Amp hour capacity as a battery, 300 Farads would be needed at 12V. However, due to the voltage drop as the capacitor discharges, a larger capacity of around 600F would be required, along with additional electronics to maintain a steady voltage. In comparison, a battery with half its charge still maintains a similar voltage. Ultimately, it is concluded that using capacitors for an E-bike is not practical.
just.karl
I was just curious if it would be possible to make my E-bike run on capacitors instead of Lead acid batteries even if the range was much shorter. So how many Farads would equal 1 Amp hour? At 12v let's say for now. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1 Farad is 1 Ampere second per Volt. 1 F = 1 As/V.
1 Ah = 3600 As
3600 As / 12V = 300 As/V = 300F
But you need more then that because the voltage will drop as the capacitor discharges. Half the charge means half the voltage.
With a lead acid battery that's different. A battery that is half empty still has nearly the same voltage as it had at the start.
Maybe 600F and some electronics to automatically step up the voltage so it stays at 12V.
So you'd need to buy 160 capacitors with 3V and 60F each.

You will want to calculate each in terms of energy stored:

E = 1/2 C V^2 for a capacitor

E = P * time for a battery (P = V * I)

EDIT -- DrZ was too fast for me!

O... yeah so running it off capacitors was even more impractical than i thought. Thanks for the quick responses! This puts everything into perspective better for me.

1. How do I convert amp hours to farads?

To convert amp hours to farads, you need to use the formula: Farads = Amp Hours / (Voltage x 3600). This will give you the equivalent capacitance in farads.

2. Can you provide an example of converting amp hours to farads?

Sure, let's say you have a battery with 4 amp hours and a voltage of 12V. Using the formula, we have: Farads = 4 Ah / (12V x 3600) = 9.26 x 10^-5 F. So the equivalent capacitance is 9.26 microfarads.

3. Why is it important to convert amp hours to farads?

In the field of electronics, it is important to understand the relationship between energy storage in batteries (amp hours) and energy storage in capacitors (farads). Converting between the two units allows for better understanding and comparison of energy storage capabilities.

4. Is there a difference between amp hours and farads?

Yes, amp hours (Ah) measures the amount of charge that can be delivered by a battery over time, while farads (F) measures the capacitance or energy storage capacity of a capacitor. They are two different units for measuring energy storage.

5. Are there any online converters for amp hours to farads?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can quickly and easily convert amp hours to farads. Simply search for "amp hours to farads converter" and choose from the many options available.