Solar bike project, electrical questions

In summary, Kelly is looking to build a solar powered bicycle trailer, which will use two 12V 18AH Sealed AGM batteries connected in series for storing solar power. The solar charge controller will have six terminals (solar input, battery and load), and will auto-switch from 12/24V systems. It is not finished yet, but will answer some of your questions.
antipositron
I’d like to get many opinions and suggestions about possible configurations for a solar powered bicycle. Currently, my plans are to purchase an electric bicycle with 200-400W motor. There are many of these available on the market and many use a 24V/10A onboard battery (Typically NiMH) mounted to the frame.

My project is to build a solar-power bicycle trailer, a small 60W solar array (40"x58") that would be mounted in a teeter-totter fashion (to adjust sun exposure from side to side). I’ve decided use two 12V 18AH Sealed AGM batteries connected in series for storing solar power and I am planning to use a solar charge controller with the following specs-

Steca PR 1515
System Voltage: 12 V (24 V)
Max Module Input Short Circuit Current: 15A
Max Load Output Current: 15A
Max Self Consumption: < 5 mA
End of Charge Voltage (Float): Liquid 13.9 V / (27.8 V) Gel 14.1 V (28.2 V)
Boost Charge Voltage, 1h: 14.4 V (28.8 V)
Equalization Charge (deactivated for gel) 1h: 14.7 V (29.4 V)
Reconnection Setpoint (SOC/LVR): > 50% SOC / 12.6 V (25.2 V)
Deep Discharge Protection (SOC/LVD): > 30% SOC / 11.1 V (22.2 V)

My questions involve how the solar power system is connected to the bike. The charge controller has 6 terminals (solar input, battery and load). It auto-switches from 12/24V systems, so I assume it provides a 24V output when it senses a 24V battery.

Question#1: What considerations must be made when connecting the output of the solar charge controller to the electrical system of the bicycle? Would I need to always isolate the Bike’s onboard battery from the solar output? I had originally planned on connecting the solar controller's output directly to the NiMH onboard battery with a toggle switch in between. I know this will cause charging of the HiMH and I’m not sure if that behavior can be managed safely or if it’s better to avoid it completely.

Question#2: What is the ideal configuration for the solar panels? There are 4 that make up the array and they are rated at 1A each “ideal.” I’ve ordered these panels but they have not arrived yet, so I’m not sure how much peak voltage they provide in full sun. But, in general, would it be best to wire these in series or parallel? Or possibly series and parallel? What would be the benefits or limitations of both?

Disclaimer: I know the solar panel is too small to power the bicycle directly. The idea is to take it camping, etc. where there would be frequent stops and ample time to slowly charge the batteries. This is just a fun project I thought I would take on for the sheer fun of it.

Thanks to everyone in advance. I hope you have as much thinking about this as I do!

Kelly

Physics news on Phys.org
antipositron said:
I’d like to get many opinions and suggestions about possible configurations for a solar powered bicycle. Kelly

Hello Kelly,

You can view my new website here, where I describe a solar bike project. It is not finished yet, but is will answer perhaps some of your questions.

http://www.avdweb.nl"

[URL]http://avdweb.nl/Article_files/Mavik_thumbnails/300x225-Article_files-Solarbike-Images-Solarbike-with-2-panels-60x60cm.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a solar bike work?

A solar bike works by using solar panels to convert sunlight into electrical energy. This energy is then stored in a battery and used to power an electric motor that assists in pedaling the bike.

2. How far can a solar bike travel on a single charge?

The distance a solar bike can travel on a single charge depends on several factors such as the size of the battery, the efficiency of the solar panels, and the terrain. On average, a solar bike can travel between 20-50 miles on a single charge.

3. Can solar bikes be used in cloudy or rainy weather?

Yes, solar bikes can be used in cloudy or rainy weather, but their efficiency may be reduced. Solar panels can still generate electricity even on cloudy days, although at a lower rate. However, it is recommended to avoid using the bike in heavy rain to prevent damage to the electrical components.

4. How long does it take to charge a solar bike?

The charging time for a solar bike depends on the size of the battery and the amount of sunlight available. On average, it can take 4-6 hours to fully charge a solar bike using solar panels.

5. Can a solar bike be used for transportation or is it just for recreational purposes?

A solar bike can be used for both transportation and recreational purposes. However, it may not be suitable for long-distance travel due to its limited range. It can be a great alternative for short commutes or leisurely rides.