Show G(p) of Order p^t when G is an Abelian Group of Order (p^t)m

In summary, we are trying to show that if G is an abelian group of order (p^t)m, and (p,m)=1, then G(p) has order p^t. To do this, we can use Cauchy's theorem for abelian groups and the fact that G is abelian. By considering the group G/G(p), we can show that there is an element of order p in G/G(p). Using this, we can prove that G(p) has order p^t.
Thorn
If G is an abelian group of order (p^t)m, and (p,m)=1, show that G(p) has order p^t

and G(p) = {a e G| |a|=p^m where m is a natural number}

any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have to work with? This problem is trivial if you've developed enough tools.

You can also do this with your "bare hands" if you want to. What have you tried so far?

Last edited:
Geez...I have no idea where to start...

Ok, I was looking at a lemma...

"Let G be an abelian group and a [tex]\in[/tex] G and is an element of finite order. Then a = a1+a2+...+ak, with ai an element of G(pi), where p1,...,pk are the distinct positive primes that divide the order of a"

... now G(p) is only the set of all elements whose order is some power of p... I was thinking you could use that lemma to show that G(p) has power pt ...seems like that could help somehow.. but it seems I need to use the fact that (p,m)=1 ...this surely means that (pt,m)=1 which means you can write 1=pt*u + m*v...for some numbers u,v... and I have no idea where to go...

Well...Actually, I could use Cauchy's theorem for Abelian Groups...

"If G is a finite abelian group and p is a prime that divides |G|, prove that G contains an element of order p...

we know that p divides |G|...and p2 divides the order of G...and so on and so on until we have pt divides the order of G...so all these elements exist in G(p)..then use the (p,m)=1 to show that each one of these elements is uniquely the product of m with some interger...I think that is it...

Does Cauchy's theorem imply that if p^m divides |G|, then G contains an element of order p^m?

The fact that G is abelian is vital here. First note that G(p) is a subgroup of G. Next note that G(p) has order a power of p, by Cauchy. If |G(p)| isn't p^t, then we can consider the group G/G(p). G/G(p) is still abelian, and p divides |G/G(p)|. Apply Cauchy's theorem again to get an element g+G(p) of order p. Now what?

you might start by trying to prove there is an element of order p, if t>0.

What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that satisfies the commutative property. This means that the order in which the operation is applied does not change the result. In other words, the group is commutative.

What is the order of an Abelian group?

The order of an Abelian group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|.

What is G(p) of Order p^t?

G(p) of Order p^t is a subgroup of the Abelian group G, where p is a prime number and t is a positive integer. It consists of all the elements in G whose order is a power of p (p^t).

What is the significance of p^t in the order of G(p) of Order p^t?

The number p^t represents the highest power of the prime number p that divides the order of G. This is important because it helps to determine the structure of the group and its subgroups.

What is the order of G(p) of Order p^t when G is an Abelian Group of Order (p^t)m?

The order of G(p) of Order p^t when G is an Abelian Group of Order (p^t)m is equal to (p^t)m, as it is a subgroup of G. This means that it contains (p^t)m elements.