What is the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and drawbacks of working remotely. The advantages include flexibility and convenience, while the drawbacks include potential isolation and distractions. Both parties agree that remote work can be successful with clear communication and boundaries.
Albert01
Hello,

I have a question that I would like to ask here.

Let ##L = \left\{ x \in \mathbb{Z}^m : Ax = 0 \text{ mod } p \right\}##, where ##A \in \mathbb{Z}_p^{n \times m}##, ##rank(A) = n##, ## m \geq n## and ##Ax = 0## has ##p^{m-n}## solutions, why is then ##|L/p\mathbb{Z}^m| = p^{m-n}##?

I am extremely looking forward to your responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

The size of the quotient group L/pZ^m is p^(m-n). This is because pZ^m is the subgroup of L that contains all elements of L that are multiples of p. When we take the quotient of L by pZ^m, we are essentially dividing out all of these multiples of p. This leaves us with p^(m-n) distinct cosets, each of which has p^n elements. Therefore, the size of the quotient group is p^(m-n).

In the given scenario, L is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax = 0 mod p. Since there are p^(m-n) solutions to this equation, the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m is also p^(m-n).

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

What is the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m?

The size of the quotient group L/pZ^m is equal to the number of distinct cosets in the quotient group, which is given by |L/pZ^m| = |L|/|pZ^m|.

How do you calculate the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m?

The size of the quotient group L/pZ^m can be calculated by dividing the order of the original group L by the order of the subgroup pZ^m. This is based on the fact that the index of a subgroup is equal to the size of the quotient group.

What does the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m represent?

The size of the quotient group L/pZ^m represents the number of distinct cosets in the quotient group, which can provide information about the structure and properties of the original group L.

How does the size of the subgroup pZ^m affect the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m?

The size of the subgroup pZ^m directly affects the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m. The larger the subgroup, the smaller the quotient group will be, and vice versa.

Can the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m be infinite?

Yes, the size of the quotient group L/pZ^m can be infinite if the original group L is infinite and the subgroup pZ^m has infinite index. This means that there are infinitely many distinct cosets in the quotient group.