Amplitude-frequency relationship

by Sakha
Tags: amplitudefrequency, relationship
Sakha
Sep18-08, 04:05 PM
P: 295
Hello.
I was doing a chemistry test, one question was asking to state the relationship between the amplitude and frequency of a wave.
I wrote that they had no relationship, as amplitude can go higher with frequency staying the same. Was I right?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
ZapperZ
Sep18-08, 04:33 PM
Mentor
P: 28,804
Quote Quote by Sakha View Post
Hello.
I was doing a chemistry test, one question was asking to state the relationship between the amplitude and frequency of a wave.
I wrote that they had no relationship, as amplitude can go higher with frequency staying the same. Was I right?
This depends entirely on the context. If the "generator" of that wave has a constant power source, then yes, there is a dependence between frequency and amplitude. If the context is a simply wave problem, then maybe they're simply testing you on [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]. Then in that case, there isn't.

Zz.
Sakha
Sep18-08, 05:02 PM
P: 295
Actually the test was mainly on photons and formulas just like [tex]\upsilon=\lambda\nu[/tex]. What you mean with constant power source?

Pumblechook
Sep19-08, 06:48 AM
P: 359

Amplitude-frequency relationship

Meaningless question I would have thought without some context.

Register to reply