Register to reply

Amplitude-frequency relationship

Share this thread:
Sakha
Sep18-08, 04:05 PM
P: 295
Hello.
I was doing a chemistry test, one question was asking to state the relationship between the amplitude and frequency of a wave.
I wrote that they had no relationship, as amplitude can go higher with frequency staying the same. Was I right?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New approach to form non-equilibrium structures
Nike krypton laser achieves spot in Guinness World Records
Unleashing the power of quantum dot triplets
ZapperZ
Sep18-08, 04:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Quote Quote by Sakha View Post
Hello.
I was doing a chemistry test, one question was asking to state the relationship between the amplitude and frequency of a wave.
I wrote that they had no relationship, as amplitude can go higher with frequency staying the same. Was I right?
This depends entirely on the context. If the "generator" of that wave has a constant power source, then yes, there is a dependence between frequency and amplitude. If the context is a simply wave problem, then maybe they're simply testing you on [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]. Then in that case, there isn't.

Zz.
Sakha
Sep18-08, 05:02 PM
P: 295
Actually the test was mainly on photons and formulas just like [tex]\upsilon=\lambda\nu[/tex]. What you mean with constant power source?

Pumblechook
Sep19-08, 06:48 AM
P: 359
Amplitude-frequency relationship

Meaningless question I would have thought without some context.

Register to reply