Anyone know how we can improve our mental math skills?

by imranq
Tags: improve, math, mental, skills
imranq
Oct11-08, 03:45 PM
P: 54
The other day I decided to calculate 1.225 x 36 in my head (this was a calculation in one of my problem sets) and I found that it took me a lot longer than I originally thought. So I was wondering if there was any sort of strategy to gradually improve this skill.

Here's a strategy I am beginning to use:
Before I go to sleep, I come up with with 7 problems (written down) to do in my head (simple ones like 23 + 43 and 346 - 987) and then check the answers with a basic calculator. Then, with my eyes closed, I do one hard problem (e.g. 3423 x 1490) so I can actually fall asleep. I've gotten considerably better with only a few weeks of doing this. But are there other strategies? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
mathwonk
Oct11-08, 10:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,422
if you want more responses, judging by the other brilliant threads here you need to call this something like, how do we improve our math skills and learn what women are thinking?
lisab
Oct11-08, 11:35 PM
Mentor
P: 2,915
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
if you want more responses, judging by the other brilliant threads here you need to call this something like, how do we improve our math skills and learn what women are thinking?
And what to wear when we do all these mental calisthenics.

WarPhalange
Oct11-08, 11:58 PM
P: 343

Anyone know how we can improve our mental math skills?

The only mental math I do is rough estimation, and I've gotten pretty good at it I think. It just takes practice and knowing how to approximate certain numbers and how to correct for that approximation.

But exact mental arithmetic? No way. I have better things to do.
maze
Oct12-08, 06:11 AM
P: 655
If you are really serious about mental calculation, check out these kids (watch through at least 1:25-1:40).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EueFhYZ4HxI

They have trained so much with an abacus, that they can take away the abacus and do fast calculations via muscle memory by moving their hands on an imaginary abacus in the air.
BobG
Oct12-08, 08:14 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,275
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
And what to wear when we do all these mental calisthenics.
What to wear is pretty obvious. We should wear math shirts.
leright
Oct12-08, 02:29 PM
P: 1,194
Quote Quote by imranq View Post
The other day I decided to calculate 1.225 x 36 in my head (this was a calculation in one of my problem sets) and I found that it took me a lot longer than I originally thought. So I was wondering if there was any sort of strategy to gradually improve this skill.

Here's a strategy I am beginning to use:
Before I go to sleep, I come up with with 7 problems (written down) to do in my head (simple ones like 23 + 43 and 346 - 987) and then check the answers with a basic calculator. Then, with my eyes closed, I do one hard problem (e.g. 3423 x 1490) so I can actually fall asleep. I've gotten considerably better with only a few weeks of doing this. But are there other strategies? Thanks.
Usually, when I do these calculations in my head (such as 1.225 x 36) I break the calculation up into many simple approximate calculations. I'll break it up as 1x36 + 0.250x36 = 45. Not a bad approximation to 44.1. But then again, I reckon most people do this.
binzing
Oct12-08, 05:06 PM
P: 248
Dunno about making it better, maybe just faster, but check out Vedic math. It's really cool, I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. I think www.vedicmaths.org works but I'm not sure...
scikidus
Oct12-08, 06:19 PM
P: 5
If you're really feeling diligent about this, here's a website I found a while ago:

The Shortest Short-Cut
It's complicated, but it looks kind of cool.
imranq
Oct12-08, 09:51 PM
P: 54
Quote Quote by binzing View Post
Dunno about making it better, maybe just faster, but check out Vedic math. It's really cool, I've just never taken the time to learn to use it. I think www.vedicmaths.org works but I'm not sure...
Dunno, I heard this was a scam
binzing
Oct12-08, 10:02 PM
P: 248
It's not, try it out, its pretty cool.
studentcredit
Oct22-08, 01:10 AM
P: 2
I can say that I'm not an expert, all I need to do for improvements is practice, practice and practice. Always challenge yourself and learn from it.
JasonRox
Oct22-08, 08:24 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,328
Haha, that's true.

If you want to do that, read a psychology article before bed. And just before bed, look up an assignment question, and go to bed. Solve that question in your head while in bed with your eyes closed.

Kind of what I do.

Register to reply