How do people usually deal with lack of socio-economic motility?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is struggling to find a job and feels trapped in their current living situation. They do not have any useful skills or contacts and have given up on the idea of going to college. They also feel emotionally unstable and have a difficult home environment. Additionally, they struggle with feelings of loneliness and often replay traumatic memories. They are unsure of what to do and are seeking help.
Eclair_de_XII
I don't have any skills, experience, or an education that can be considered useful to any given industry. I have no contacts outside my hometown even though I so desperately have been wanting to relocate for a very long time. It does not help that I have no contacts outside my hometown. No landlord is going to lease an apartment to some bloke without a job, and no corporation will bother considering anybody without a place to live, least of all for a job that can pay rent. I feel like a joke applying to places to out-of-state jobs. I already have no luck securing work in my home state.

I don't know what I can do for a living, anymore. I'm sick and tired of it. I'm scared that I'll be stuck on this God-forsaken isle for the rest of my life, because I cannot find a decent career field to enter. I wouldn't consider college as a serious option, anymore. For one, I am far too exhausted and emotionally unstable to study nowadays. I already spent a number of years chasing a piece of paper that ultimately never helped me. It does not help, either, that I don't live in a home environment that is conducive to my emotional health.

My father has a habit of never turning off the television in the basement where he and I must bunk, and thoroughly ignoring me during the day because he is under the impression that I've nothing important to say. I've long since given up trying to talk to him. My mother has a habit of pestering me day and night even if she sees that I am in the middle of doing something and cares very little for anything I say, even when she invites me to share my problems after seeing me in a state of clear emotional distress. My sister never shuts it no matter how many times my mother and I must yell through her door, which she keeps tightly shut. My brother has a habit of boring me with topics of little interest to me, and never seems to care if I am listening to him or not; he just likes narcissistically listening to the sound of his own voice.

In any case, ideally, if I'd want a quiet study environment, I could always drive myself someplace else to avoid my home. But I'd still have to come back in the end, and lose sleep because my father never closes the television set throughout the night and opens it back up during the night whenever I turn it off. Ideally, I could just park somewhere in the night and sleep in my car. Even so, I'd still have to come home, take a shower, and endure whatever non-sense anybody feels like throwing at me in the interim between entering the house and exiting it.

I'm kept up late at night by my frustration over my utter helplessness, in addition to my intense feelings of loneliness that have only been growing in the past two years I've been away from school. The only things I have for company are my memories of having interacted with others, about half of them consisting of traumas I have had an ingrained habit of replaying in my head over again, until dawn breaks.

I don't know what to do, anymore.

[Last part redacted by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

[Last part redacted by the Mentors]
That's grim. Please if you need some counseling call (800) 273-8255 (24 x 7) or online visit lifeline . . . Best wishes to you . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
sysprog said:
That's grim. Please if you need some counseling call (800) 273-8255 (24 x 7) or online visit lifeline . . . Best wishes to you . . .

Thank you @sysprog for posting that. It is a USA-only hotline, I believe, so here is a list of international help lines for future readers of this thread:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

Likes sysprog

1. How does poverty affect socio-economic mobility?

Poverty can have a significant impact on socio-economic mobility. It can limit access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities, making it difficult for individuals to improve their economic status. Lack of resources and support can also contribute to a cycle of poverty that is difficult to break.

2. What are some common coping mechanisms for those facing socio-economic barriers?

Some common coping mechanisms for those facing socio-economic barriers include seeking assistance from government programs, relying on support from family and friends, and working multiple jobs to make ends meet. Some may also turn to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as substance abuse, to deal with the stress and challenges of their situation.

3. How do systemic inequalities contribute to lack of socio-economic motility?

Systemic inequalities, such as discrimination based on race, gender, or socio-economic status, can limit opportunities for individuals and communities. This can create barriers to education, employment, and upward mobility, making it difficult for people to break out of poverty and improve their socio-economic standing.

4. What role do education and skills play in overcoming socio-economic barriers?

Education and skills are crucial in overcoming socio-economic barriers. A quality education can open doors to better job opportunities and higher-paying careers. Developing skills, such as financial management and networking, can also help individuals navigate the challenges of socio-economic barriers and work towards upward mobility.

5. How can society address the issue of lack of socio-economic motility?

Society can address the issue of lack of socio-economic motility by implementing policies that promote equal access to education, healthcare, and job opportunities. This can include providing financial aid for low-income individuals, investing in underprivileged communities, and addressing systemic inequalities. Additionally, advocating for and supporting initiatives that address poverty and socio-economic mobility can also create positive change.