Why does RNA Polymerase always move toward the 5' end of the

• Thread starter jenzao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rna
In summary, the template strand of DNA is transcribing the mRNA strand, which only adds nucleotides to the 3' end. This is because growth from the 5' end would cause problems with the loss of 5' phosphate groups, which are important for the thermodynamic driving force behind DNA/RNA synthesis. The weak bond of the pyrophosphate group can cause loss due to thermal energy, but in normal transcription, this is not a problem because the cell has a constant supply of nucleotides.
jenzao
DNA strand (template strand) it is transcribing? Why couldn't it move toward the 3' end? Please explain with as much clarification as possible.
I understand the 5' end is the phosphate group end of a nucleotide, and 3' end is the hydroxyl (-OH) end.
I also know that nucleotides are only added to the 3' end of the growing mRNA, but I am confused about why this is, at the molecular level (that the only way to totally understand, isn't it?)
please explain with as much clarification/detail possible, i really need to get this.
thanks alot

Biology news on Phys.org
My guess is that, if growth were to occur from the 5' end of the primer (i.e. toward the 3' end of the template), the cell would have problems with loss of the 5' phosphate groups. The 5' phosphate is important because the loss of pyrophosphate is the thermodynamic driving force behind DNA/RNA synthesis. The bond is fairly weak, so replacing the pyrophosphate group with the 3'OH of a nucleic acid strand forms a stronger bond and is energetically favorable.

Because the pyrophosphate group is weakly bound, it can sometimes come off due to the thermal energy in the cell. Thus, in an RNA that is transcribed by adding nucleotides to the 5' end, loss of the 5' phosphate would halt synthesis until a repair enzyme could phosphorylate the 5' end again. In contrast, in normal transcription, the transcribed RNA does not have this problem. The pyrophosphate groups are on the nucleotides and loss of these pyrophosphate groups is not a problem because the cell has a large pool of nucleotides that is constantly being replenished.

Ygggdrasil said:
My guess is that, if growth were to occur from the 5' end of the primer (i.e. toward the 3' end of the template), the cell would have problems with loss of the 5' phosphate groups. The 5' phosphate is important because the loss of pyrophosphate is the thermodynamic driving force behind DNA/RNA synthesis. The bond is fairly weak, so replacing the pyrophosphate group with the 3'OH of a nucleic acid strand forms a stronger bond and is energetically favorable.

Because the pyrophosphate group is weakly bound, it can sometimes come off due to the thermal energy in the cell. Thus, in an RNA that is transcribed by adding nucleotides to the 5' end, loss of the 5' phosphate would halt synthesis until a repair enzyme could phosphorylate the 5' end again. In contrast, in normal transcription, the transcribed RNA does not have this problem. The pyrophosphate groups are on the nucleotides and loss of these pyrophosphate groups is not a problem because the cell has a large pool of nucleotides that is constantly being replenished.
WOW,
I like this explanation.

1. Why does RNA Polymerase always move toward the 5' end of the DNA strand?

RNA Polymerase moves towards the 5' end of the DNA strand because it reads the DNA template in the 3' to 5' direction and synthesizes the RNA in the 5' to 3' direction. This is known as the "anti-parallel" nature of DNA and RNA strands.

2. How does RNA Polymerase know where to start transcribing?

RNA Polymerase starts transcribing at a specific DNA sequence called the promoter region. This region contains specific nucleotide sequences that bind to the RNA Polymerase and signal the start of transcription.

3. Can RNA Polymerase transcribe both strands of DNA?

No, RNA Polymerase can only transcribe one strand of DNA, known as the template strand. This is because the enzyme can only read the template strand in the 3' to 5' direction and synthesize the RNA in the 5' to 3' direction.

4. Why is the 5' end of RNA important?

The 5' end of RNA is important because it contains a modified nucleotide called a 5' cap. This cap helps protect the RNA from enzymatic degradation and also aids in the binding of the RNA to the ribosome during translation.

5. Does RNA Polymerase always move in a linear direction?

No, RNA Polymerase can pause and backtrack during transcription. This allows for the correction of errors in the RNA sequence and also for the addition of RNA processing signals. However, the overall movement of the enzyme is predominantly in a linear direction towards the 5' end of the DNA strand.