Weir flow

by sharp910sh
Tags: flow, weir
Share this thread:
sharp910sh
Oct14-08, 03:35 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ok i have a problem, i did a experiment to find the weir flow. Using q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2)

I measured b the width of the weir and the height. i was asked to find out the discharge coefficient cd. what i did was add weight to an unknow mass. so the original mass mass flow was x then we added 2.5kg each time. so to find to the flow q i do x (unknow mass) /time. I know have two unknow variables x and cd, where cd isnt constant. so i cant equate two readings. is cd was constant then u could.

2. Relevant equations
q= cd 2/3 b root (2g) x h^(3/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

ive given up
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
dlgoff
Oct15-08, 06:01 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
Are not coefficients constants?
sharp910sh
Oct16-08, 02:33 AM
P: 8
i got it now, the coefficients aren't constant. the coefficient for the rectanglular flow is cd=0.611 +h/z. so i can get the mass. and for the triangular weir cd is 0.58. but because my results are wrong. i cant sub these values into the equation to get the original flow, then the mass.

dlgoff
Oct16-08, 06:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
Weir flow

It's been a long time since I worked these kinds of problems. From my old text it mentions that (note K=cd):
Numerous values for K (or a similar coefficient) have been published in hydraulic liteature, and a rational analysis by von Mises indicated K to have the form
K=0.611 + 0.075 H/Z
Essentials of Engineering Fluid Mechanics by Reuben M. Olson

Register to reply