Register to reply

What damage to the body can infrared rays, radar waves, FM waves, TV waves, shortwav

by Cmertin
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Cmertin
Oct22-08, 03:31 PM
P: 58
What damage to the body can infrared rays, radar waves, FM waves, TV waves, "shortwave" waves, and AM waves do?

I have to do a physics project on causes of cancer, based on a physics standpoint. I have an Idea to make the poster board interactive with the audience, by letting them look through holes in the poster board to see what happens with each wave. I am using the link below and I already have pictures of what gamma rays - the hulk ;-) -, x-rays, and UV rays do to the body, but I can not find what the rest do, let alone pictures of what happens. If you could either tell me what happens for the ones that I can't find information on, or find a picture and tell me what happens that would be great.
http://www.netl.doe.gov/ssl/images/wavelength.jpg
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
russ_watters
Oct22-08, 05:06 PM
Mentor
P: 22,239
In essence, the shorter wavelengths are capable of interacting with dna and damaging it/breaking it. The only known mechanism for longer wavelengths to do harm is by heating.

Register to reply