Infrared Waves in Optical Fibres

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of infrared waves for information processing, specifically in the field of optics. It mentions the process of up-conversion and how it amplifies weaker waves to a higher intensity in the visible region, making it easier for sensing. It also discusses the challenges posed by thermal effects and the different regions of infrared light used for different purposes. The conversation ends with a question about the use of synthetic materials for NIR communications and the potential for future developments in this area.
modulus
I was reading about a process called up-conversion mentioned in Robert Boyd's Non-Linear Optics. It is essentially a special case of sum frequency generation (in sum frequency generation, two waves of different frequencies are sent into the crystal, and out comes a wave with a frequency equal to the sum of the two input waves; this is possible due to the non-linear polarization of the crystal). where a weak information-carrying infrared wave is sent in with a strong intensity laser. The two interact, an essentially, the weaker wave is amplified to a higher intensity in the visible region, which is easier for sensing (See image attached for the actual text from the book).
Capture.PNG

I found this very interesting - infrared waves which carry information! It got me thinking: theoretically, we could do 'optics' with 'infrared rays', right? But how do we overcome the problems posed by thermal effects like conduction (and in particular, convection)? Are there special materials out there that can make the use of infrared rays feasible? Can the thermal effects actually be used to our advantage?

I wanted to know if anybody here could tell me about experiments or devices which use infrared radiation for information processing. I'm not looking for research papers or anything, I just want a general idea of whether or not such things are attempted, and with what degree of success.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
modulus said:
It got me thinking: theoretically, we could do 'optics' with 'infrared rays', right?
Yes, we can and do. For instance, the lens in a digital camera will pass IR and the sensor will detect IR. The only difference is that the focal length of the lens will be different from optical wavelengths and that can make focussing harder.
Thermal effects can introduce 'noise' into an IR optical system but if you have a high enough signal level, you can transmit and receive digital data easily with IR.

Chances are good the text for your post was transmitted via infrared light. That is the dominant way data gets transmitted via the internet.
Light in the near infrared (~1.5 µm) is still high-energetic enough for the photoelectric effect without upconversion.
modulus said:
The two interact, an essentially, the weaker wave is amplified to a higher intensity in the visible region
Not a higher intensity, just a shorter wavelength. There are optical amplifiers, however. Combine it with optical switches and it might be possible to get rid of the detour of electronic signal processing, which could allow higher data rates.

Infrared at much longer wavelengths is impractical - absorption becomes a significant problem, thermal noise becomes dominant and you don't want to cool your glass fibres with liquid nitrogen.

modulus said:
<snip> It got me thinking: theoretically, we could do 'optics' with 'infrared rays', right? But how do we overcome the problems posed by thermal effects like conduction (and in particular, convection)? Are there special materials out there that can make the use of infrared rays feasible? Can the thermal effects actually be used to our advantage?

Infrared optical systems are generally divided into 3 or 4 regions: Near IR (NIR)/short-wave IR (SWIR), mid-wave IR, and longwave IR because the waveband is so much larger than visible light and different materials are used for generation and detection for each sub-band.

As mentioned, NIR is where telecommunications lives- silicon detectors, silica fibers, GaAs sources, etc. Nothing too exotic here. NIR goes from the far red to about 1.7 um, while MWIR covers 3-5 um and LWIR covers 8-12 um. These wavebands are in 'water windows', meaning absorption by water is small enough to make free-space transmission feasible. There are laser sources in both; quantum cascade lasers are being developed in the LWIR. Both types of optical systems as predominantly used for 'thermal imaging', meaning heat signatures. Engines and rockets are best imaged in MWIR, room-temperature objects (people, etc) are best imaged using LWIR. I believe low-cost lightweight LWIR cameras are being developed for firefighters, to see through smoke.

There's also far-infrared, which goes out to about 100um: this is where FTIR machines typically operate to get information about molecular absorbance bands.

The materials used for MWIR and LWIR optical component are very different than NIR: typically hollow-core fibers are used for MWIR and LWIR, and lenses are usually Ge or ZnSe. I know less about far-IR materials, mainly wire-grid polarizers and attenuators.

modulus said:
I wanted to know if anybody here could tell me about experiments or devices which use infrared radiation for information processing. I'm not looking for research papers or anything, I just want a general idea of whether or not such things are attempted, and with what degree of success.

AFAIK, Because MWIR and LWIR sources are generally incoherent, not too much has been done on applying the principles of coherent optical processing. As coherent IR sources are developed, I expect to see more things like bulk metamaterials that have some interesting applications.

These wavebands are in 'water windows', meaning absorption by water is small enough to make free-space transmission feasible.
That's really interesting! I hadn't thought about thermal imaging having to worry about water vapour in the atmosphere.

Chances are good the text for your post was transmitted via infrared light. That is the dominant way data gets transmitted via the internet./
Now, I always thought that the miles of optical fibres which we lay into the seas is where all the internet communication goes on. So, is the NIR communication a relatively recent phenomenon? I have a feeling NIR would be smarter choice for long-range infrastructure (over higher frequency bands) because of an intuition I've gained reading about transmission in metallic conductors, where higher frequency waves experience stronger attenuation. Is something analogous true for optical communication?

As mentioned, NIR is where telecommunications lives- silicon detectors, silica fibers, GaAs sources, etc. Nothing too exotic here.
So, that makes me ask: why don't we have synthetic materials available yet for NIR communications (like the engineered polymers that have been developed for visible region optical fibres). Are there any specific technical hurdles that have prevented us from doing so until now?

Optical fibres for data transmission use infrared lasers - that is outside the visible wavelength range but it is optics as well.

modulus said:
T<snip>So, that makes me ask: why don't we have synthetic materials available yet for NIR communications (like the engineered polymers that have been developed for visible region optical fibres). Are there any specific technical hurdles that have prevented us from doing so until now?

I don't understand-optical telecommunications is already conducted within the NIR waveband.

Silica fiber is synthetic...?

I don't understand-optical telecommunications is already conducted within the NIR waveband.

Silica fiber is synthetic...?

Never mind that...the mention of GaAs threw me off. I held the notion that polymers (like polyethylene) were used for optical fibres. After some reading I learned that they are used in cladding, while the actual transmitting material is made up of those you mentioned.

And yes, 'optical communication' is indeed in NIR. Again, I was confused - I saw the 'optical' in 'optical fibre' and still expected something to be happening in the visible spectrum.Anyhow, I just want to say thank you for your replies, mfb and Andy. They gave me some good pointers for further reading.

1. What are infrared waves?

Infrared waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. They are invisible to the human eye, but can be detected by special equipment and have a wide range of applications in science and technology.

2. How are infrared waves used in optical fibers?

Infrared waves are used in optical fibers as a means of transmitting data and information. They are able to travel long distances without losing their strength, making them a reliable method of communication. Infrared waves are also used in fiber optics for sensing applications, such as temperature, pressure, and strain measurements.

3. What are the advantages of using infrared waves in optical fibers?

There are several advantages to using infrared waves in optical fibers. They have a high bandwidth, allowing for the transmission of large amounts of data. They are also unaffected by electromagnetic interference and can travel long distances without losing signal strength. Infrared waves also have a low attenuation rate, meaning they can maintain their strength over longer distances compared to other types of waves.

4. Can infrared waves in optical fibers be harmful to humans?

No, infrared waves in optical fibers are not harmful to humans. Infrared radiation is naturally present in sunlight and is also emitted by the human body. The levels of infrared radiation used in optical fibers are too low to cause any harm to humans.

5. How are infrared waves in optical fibers different from other types of waves?

Infrared waves in optical fibers have a longer wavelength than visible light, making them invisible to the human eye. They also have a lower frequency and energy compared to other types of waves, such as ultraviolet or X-rays. Additionally, infrared waves can travel through materials that may block other types of waves, making them useful for certain applications.