What can stop jalapeno burn to skin?

by Evo
Tags: evo
Share this thread:
Evo
Oct25-08, 11:35 AM
Mentor
P: 26,424
At least, it's the only thing I can think of that could be causing the burning sensation.

I chopped some jalapenos last night, then washed my hands as usual. I woke up during the night with the palm and fingers of my hand burning. These weren't hot jalapenos, and it's only affecting one hand, the hand I held the knife with. The hand that I held the jalapenos with is all right.

The burning is so bad that I am sitting with my hand in a pot of cool water.

Please, any suggestions to stop the burn?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
mgb_phys
Oct25-08, 11:51 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,955
The active ingredients aren't water soluable - thats why you drink milk.
This much later though they have probably been absorbed, I would try washing the hand thoroughly with soap.
Evo
Oct25-08, 11:54 AM
Mentor
Yeah, I've washed my hands thoroughly several times. No improvement. I just found some aloe vera I had for sunburns, I've just applied that. Next is a soak in the dog's oatmeal shampoo if the aloe doesn't help.

Andre
Oct25-08, 11:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
What can stop jalapeno burn to skin?

Use milk instead of water, Evo

Edit
capse´cine dissolves in fat, so you could try oil, butter anything like that.
Astronuc
Oct25-08, 12:05 PM
Admin
P: 21,808
The capsaicin is oil soluble, so vegetable oil (or oil and vinegar - which I recommended to Woolie when he got it on his face), yogurt, or butter should help dissolve any capsaicin on the skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin
Capsaicin (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) is the active component of chili peppers, and it is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue with which it comes into contact. Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers, . . .

Cooling and mechanical stimulation are the only proven methods to relieve the pain; capsaicin is not water-soluble, so water and most other liquids will only dull the pain by cooling the area, but will not have any lasting effect. The burning sensation will slowly fade away if no actions are taken. Dairy products are one of the most effective forms of relief; casein, a phosphoprotein found in milk, acts as a detergent to dissociate the capsaicin from nerve receptors, allowing it to wash away. (Dustrophsky, 2006).
So use yogurt, half-n-half, or milk - in a cup or bowl.
Evo
Oct25-08, 12:20 PM
Mentor
I have no milk based products, except velveeta cheese, wait, that's non-dairy too, nope, it claims to contain milk. Hmmm, I could sprinkle parmesan on my fingers.

I think the aloe is helping.
Andre
Oct25-08, 12:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Alternately in this Dutch page it's advised to rub in lemon juice first and after that oil
glondor
Oct25-08, 12:52 PM
P: 52
cooking oil?
gravenewworld
Oct25-08, 02:17 PM
P: 1,404
Once capsaicin is absorbed no amount of oil is going to get it off.

From my own experience from cutting hot peppers, it seems that capsaicin has a long half life probably around 24 hours. Just give it time and the feeling will go away.
turbo
Oct25-08, 02:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by gravenewworld View Post
Once capsaicin is absorbed no amount of oil is going to get it off.

From my own experience from cutting hot peppers, it seems that capsaicin has a long half life probably around 24 hours. Just give it time and the feeling will go away.
You're right. It's not going to be possible to do much at this point, and putting your hands in hot water to do dishes, or taking a hot shower will re-activate the capsaicin for a day or two, usually.
matthyaouw
Oct25-08, 05:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
I've heard banana does the trick nicely when something tastes too hot. I've no idea if it'd work on skin, but give it a try if it's that bad
montoyas7940
Oct25-08, 05:53 PM
P: 263
Oh Evo,

I feel for you! I did the same thing once with habanerro peppers. It felt like a bad
sunburn. I used cold compresses for about a day. I think it just takes time.

Be very careful when you go to the bathroom.
Ouabache
Oct25-08, 08:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,326
Quote Quote by Evo View Post

I chopped some jalapenos last night, then washed my hands as usual. I woke up during the night with the palm and fingers of my hand burning.
The burning is so bad that I am sitting with my hand in a pot of cool water.
Please, any suggestions to stop the burn?
That happened to me too (a few moons ago) !! Only both my hands were burning and I really needed to use them to work on some math. I tried all that you did but my hands still burned (even when I tried to sleep)

So in alarm, I called the emergency room. They told me it's a burn and treatment is the same for temperature & chemical burns. So you're pot of cool water was a good choice. At that point it was anesthetizing the tissue.

PAIN RELIEF: Cold compresses are good to relieve pain as well as using over the counter pain relievers and topical anesthetics.

HEALING - topical skin protectants and moisturizers are good during the healing process which in my case, took a few days. You mentioned aloe vera. I've heard it has both anesthetic and antibacterial properties, so it should feel soothing and allow the skin to heal more quickly.

I took tepid showers rather than hot, just as with a sunburn, a hot shower is no fun, when your skin is burned.
Monique
Oct26-08, 05:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by Ouabache View Post
So in alarm, I called the emergency room. They told me it's a burn and treatment is the same for temperature & chemical burns.
Capsaicin does not cause tissue damage (and thus no burn), it simulates tissue damage by binding to vanilloid receptors, which are normally involved in sensing heat and tissue abrasions. You're right that cold anesthetizes the tissue, but this is only alleviating the symptoms and is not contributing to the healing. The only solution is to wash away the capsaicin with oil/lipids/soap, which is difficult when it has already penetrated the skin deeply. I think it usually takes a day for the burning sensation to disappear, so I hope this also applies to Evo Next time wear some gloves!
Ouabache
Oct27-08, 01:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,326
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
Capsaicin does not cause tissue damage (and thus no burn), it simulates tissue damage by binding to vanilloid receptors, which are normally involved in sensing heat and tissue abrasions.
Thanks Monique, it is interesting to learn the actual mechanism behind this burning sensation. So it only mimics a burn by affecting the same pain receptors. I should have realized many ER professionals are still learning and but at the same time, want to convey credibility of their medical knowledge. If i call them back and explain about vanilloid receptor binding, I hope they keep an open mind...

Evo, is your hand feeling better??
Phrak
Oct27-08, 02:35 AM
P: 4,513
Vinegar will free the base.
Evo
Oct27-08, 09:13 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ouabache View Post
Thanks Monique, it is interesting to learn the actual mechanism behind this burning sensation. So it only mimics a burn by affecting the same pain receptors. I should have realized many ER professionals are still learning and but at the same time, want to convey credibility of their medical knowledge. If i call them back and explain about vanilloid receptor binding, I hope they keep an open mind...

Evo, is your hand feeling better??
The aloe was very soothing, a light cool gel.

Today the fingers feel ok, I still had a bit of burning even yesterday.

Gloves from now on.
DaveC426913
Oct27-08, 09:37 AM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
The aloe was very soothing, a light cool gel.

Today the fingers feel ok, I still had a bit of burning even yesterday.

Gloves from now on.
Just go with the full body suit.

Register to reply