by Garen
Tags: acceleration, angular
Share this thread:
Garen
Oct29-08, 11:03 PM
P: 32
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution
I thought I could take the second derivative and get the angular acceleration from which I could use where ω is the angular velocity, is the linear tangential acceleration, and r is the radius of curvature. But for some reason, it didn't give me the right answer, anyone know where I went wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
alphysicist
Oct30-08, 12:36 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,249
Hi Garen,

Quote Quote by Garen View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3. The attempt at a solution
I thought I could take the second derivative and get the angular acceleration from which I could use where ω is the angular velocity, is the linear tangential acceleration, and r is the radius of curvature. But for some reason, it didn't give me the right answer, anyone know where I went wrong?
Are you saying that you put in the tangential acceleration as your answer? If so, remember that they are asking for the total linear acceleration, and there is more to the total acceleration than just the tangential part.
livewire852
Oct30-08, 12:44 AM
P: 3
aaaah thank you so much. i was totally stalking this post and you replied to it in a MOMENT OF PARADISE!!!!!

Garen
Oct30-08, 12:52 AM
Angular Acceleration Problem

Quote Quote by alphysicist View Post
Hi Garen,

Are you saying that you put in the tangential acceleration as your answer? If so, remember that they are asking for the total linear acceleration, and there is more to the total acceleration than just the tangential part.
Oh, I thought that total linear acceleration was only the tangential acceleration...Would I have to include centripetal acceleration? If so, how?
alphysicist
Oct30-08, 12:56 AM
HW Helper
Oh, I thought that total linear acceleration was only the tangential acceleration...Would I have to include centripetal acceleration? If so, how?
What is the formula for centripetal acceleration? (And remember that you have already found the angular velocity!)

Once you have found both components (the tangential and centripetal), the total is just the vector sum.
Garen
Oct30-08, 01:02 AM
Quote Quote by alphysicist View Post
What is the formula for centripetal acceleration? (And remember that you have already found the angular velocity!)

Once you have found both components (the tangential and centripetal), the total is just the vector sum.
I got it! Thanks a lot for your help.
alphysicist
Oct30-08, 01:03 AM
HW Helper
I got it! Thanks a lot for your help.
Sure, glad to help!

Register to reply