Solve Angular Velocity & Acceleration - Dimensional Analysis

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving linear and angular velocity and acceleration. The participants are discussing the given values and formulae to use in order to arrive at the correct answer. They also highlight the importance of understanding the question and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.
etile
Homework Statement
university
Relevant Equations
n/a
Hi guys,

Please see attached image - it's the part highlighted yellow that I'm stuck on.

Here is what I got for linear velocity and angular velocity. (requested by mod)

Thanks!
c) Angular to velocity
Dia=0.8m .. rad=0.4m
v (linear velocity) = r (radius of circle) * omega (angular velocity)
lets rearrange
linear velo (2.214 m/s = 0.4m* angular)
2.214 / 0.4

=5.535 rad/sec

d) Angular acceleration of the drum
initial angular velo = 0
final angular veloc=5.535
time=0.225756
formula=
angular acceleration = initial angular velo. (0) - final angular acc. (5.535) / t (0.225756)

angular acceleration=24.52 rad/s^2
physics1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PF rules require you to provide your own efforts. What are your thoughts on the part of the problem you are asking about?

Likes topsquark
Sorry I didn't realise that.

I pretty much don't understand the question and where to go with it

In addition to what @Orodruin has said, can I add this?

Before you get onto the 'hard' part of the question, you will need to deal with the ‘easy’ parts, a) – f), correctly.

Ask yourself: “If A (the time taken) is very large, would I expect different answers compared to A being very small?”.

E.g. imagine A = 3600s and then imagine again with A = 1s).

Likes Lnewqban and topsquark

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular speed (in revolutions per second) by 2π.

3. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to check the consistency of equations and to convert units. It involves breaking down physical quantities into their fundamental dimensions (such as length, time, and mass) and comparing them to ensure that the units on both sides of an equation are the same.

4. How is dimensional analysis used to solve problems involving angular velocity and acceleration?

Dimensional analysis can be used to convert units of angular velocity and acceleration to match the units required in a particular equation. It can also be used to check the consistency of equations involving these quantities.

5. Can angular velocity and acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular velocity and acceleration can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates rotation in the opposite direction, while a negative angular acceleration indicates a decrease in the rate of rotation. The direction of rotation is determined by the right-hand rule, with the thumb pointing in the direction of the angular velocity or acceleration vector.