Fractals - recommended texts

• Thread starter NoSolution
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractals
In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for texts on fractals and topology for someone who is mathematically mature but never had the chance to study those topics in school. Some suggested books were mentioned, including "The Fractal Geometry of Nature" and "Fractals Everywhere" for fractals, and "Topology" for topology. The conversation ended with a thanks.
NoSolution
Hi all.

Was hoping to get some good recommendations for texts on fractals, maybe starting with introductory texts moving on up to the more mathematically intense works.

I'm also following this thread: Topology-prerquisites, as I'll probably need to brush up a little.

Just for the record, I'm mathematically mature (got that from the aforementioned thread :wink:), just never got a chance to study those topics while in school.

Thanks a bunch!

NoSolution

Physics news on Phys.org
alrighty, then

Thanks, DB. Much appreciated!NoSolution

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are geometric patterns that repeat at different scales and are characterized by self-similarity. They can be found in nature and are created through mathematical equations.

2. How can I learn more about fractals?

There are many books and online resources available for learning about fractals. Some recommended texts include "The Fractal Geometry of Nature" by Benoit Mandelbrot and "Chaos and Fractals: New Frontiers of Science" by Heinz-Otto Peitgen, et al.

3. Are there any introductory texts for beginners?

Yes, "A Beginner's Guide to Fractal Patterns" by Michael Frame, et al. is a great starting point for those new to fractals. It provides an accessible introduction to the basics of fractal geometry.

4. Can fractals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, fractals have many practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, finance, and biology. They can also be used to model natural phenomena and improve understanding of complex systems.

5. Is there a specific software needed to explore fractals?

There are many software programs available for creating and exploring fractals. Some popular options include Mandelbulb 3D, Ultra Fractal, and Fractal Science Kit. Many of these programs are free and can be downloaded online.