circular motion of a train

by tyro008
Tags: circular, motion, train
tyro008
Nov2-08, 03:01 PM
P: 20
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A train is rounding a circular curve whose radius is 2.00 X 10[tex]_{}2[/tex] m. At one instant, the train has an angular acceleration of 1.50 X 10^-3 rad/s[tex]_{}2[/tex] and an angular speed of 0.0400 rad/s.
(a) Find the magnitude of the total acceleration (centripetal plus tangential) of the train.

(b) Determine the angle of the total acceleration relative to the radial direction.

2. Relevant equations
a[tex]_{}NET[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{}ac2^{}_{} + at2^{}[/tex]
and Ac is the centripetal acceleration, At is the tangential acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
i tried using this equation, but i couldn't find At. to find this, you need delta velocity divided by delta time, but there is no time and i don't know if angular speed is the same thing as regular velocity
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
grassblade
Nov2-08, 06:22 PM
P: 1
You can find At by using the formula: angular acceleration = tangential acceleration / radius.

I'm not sure how to find the angle though...

Register to reply