Circular motion/ speed increases at a constant rate

In summary, when an object moves in a circular path with a speed that increases at a constant rate, it can be concluded that the net force acting on the object has a radial component and a tangential component that are equal at all times, and the tangential component of the force acting on the object is constant. This is due to the fact that the object experiences a constant tangential acceleration while the radial acceleration, given by velocity squared divided by the radius, increases along with the velocity.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

If an object moves in a circular path with a speed that increases at a constant rate, which of the following can be concluded?

(A) The radial component of the force acting on the object is zero.
(B) The net force acting on the object is zero.
(C) The net force acting on the object is directed toward the center of the circle.
(D) The net force acting on the object has a radial component and a tangential component that are equal at all times
(E) The tangential component of the force acting on the object is constant.

Homework Equations

Centripetal force = mass times centripetal acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B] learned that speed is constant in circular motion, so does its centripetal force and acceleration. Velocity is tanget to the force and acceleration and that’s why it accelerates while maintaining its speed. But for this situation why and how the speed is increasing. I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:
I learned that speed is constant in circular motion
You shouldn't have. Why 'invent' angular acceleration if what you learned is the case ?

Again, your relevant equations don't cut it. Think of something better.

YMMMA said:
Velocity is tanget to the force and acceleration and that’s why it accelerates while maintaining its speed.
I assume you mean that if the speed is constant then velocity is normal to the force and to the acceleration, and that is why it can have a nonzero acceleration at constant speed.
Anyway, as BvU notes, you are told the speed is not constant here.

Likes YMMMA
I think I will understand it if I looked for the topic of rotational dynamics. I will make sure I know them well before coming back to that question.

So yeah, I looked for this lesson, non-uniform circular motion, and got that because it speeds up it has a radial and tangential acceleration. Thus, It has a net acceleration, and for the force it also has a radial, tangential and a net force. That means I have to choose between E and D. I am confused actually. If it is increasing at a constant rate, that means thant the tangential acceleration is constant and also its tangential force. What about the radial one? Is it constant, too? But I would choose E.

YMMMA said:
What about the radial one?
What equation do you know regarding radial (centripetal) acceleration?

It is velocity squared divided by the radius. But the velocity is increasing, so it should increase as well. Right?

YMMMA said:
It is velocity squared divided by the radius. But the velocity is increasing, so it should increase as well. Right?
Right.

Likes YMMMA

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object around a point or axis, where the distance between the object and the point remains constant.

2. How does speed increase at a constant rate in circular motion?

In circular motion, the speed of an object increases at a constant rate because the object is constantly changing direction and therefore its velocity is constantly changing. This change in velocity is known as acceleration, and in circular motion, it is always directed towards the center of the circle.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion, this force is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect the speed in circular motion?

The radius of the circle has a direct impact on the speed in circular motion. As the radius increases, the speed decreases and vice versa. This is because the larger the radius, the longer the distance the object has to travel to complete one revolution, resulting in a slower speed.

5. Can circular motion have a constant speed and varying velocity?

Yes, in circular motion, an object can have a constant speed and varying velocity. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of an object. In circular motion, the speed may remain constant, but the direction of the object is constantly changing, resulting in a varying velocity.