Atwood Machine: Find m1's Descent and Velocity

In summary, the problem involves an Atwood machine with two masses, m1 = 2.00 kg and m2 = 7.50 kg, a frictionless pulley, and a non-stretching string. The lighter mass is initially released with a velocity of 2.80 m/s downward and the goal is to find the distance it will descend (using vf^2 = v^2 + 2ad) and its velocity after 1.80 seconds (using f= ma and vf^2 = v^2 + 2ad). The acceleration can be found using the formula a= (gm1 + gm2)/(m2+m1) and the distance can be found using the formula V^2
physics_geek

Homework Statement

In the Atwood machine shown below, m1 = 2.00 kg and m2 = 7.50 kg. The masses of the pulley and string are negligible by comparison. The pulley turns without friction and the string does not stretch. The lighter object is released with a sharp push that sets it into motion at vi = 2.80 m/s downward.
(a) How far will m1 descend below its initial level?

(b) Find the velocity of m1 after 1.80 s.

Homework Equations

f= ma
vf^2 = v^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

i think for part a u use the equation i put above..but i don't know how to figure out acceleration...but i think its splitted between the two objects

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physics_geek,

physics_geek said:

Homework Statement

In the Atwood machine shown below, m1 = 2.00 kg and m2 = 7.50 kg. The masses of the pulley and string are negligible by comparison. The pulley turns without friction and the string does not stretch. The lighter object is released with a sharp push that sets it into motion at vi = 2.80 m/s downward.
(a) How far will m1 descend below its initial level?

(b) Find the velocity of m1 after 1.80 s.

Homework Equations

f= ma
vf^2 = v^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

i think for part a u use the equation i put above..but i don't know how to figure out acceleration...but i think its splitted between the two objects

To find the acceleration, start by drawing force diagrams for each of the objects. Using [itex]\sum F = m a[/itex] for each of the diagrams then gives two equations with two unknowns.

(You can also use an energy appoach here.)

Use the formula a= (gm1 + gm2)/(m2+m1) to find the acceleration then use the formula V^2=-2ad to find the distance. Bada bing bada boom!
Im still workin on the second part unfortunately...

What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or rope that runs over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate the principles of classical mechanics, such as acceleration and Newton's laws of motion.

How do you find m1's descent in an Atwood Machine?

To find m1's descent in an Atwood Machine, you can use the equation h = (m2/m1 + m2) * L, where h is the distance that m1 has descended, m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, and L is the length of the string or rope.

How do you find m1's velocity in an Atwood Machine?

To find m1's velocity in an Atwood Machine, you can use the equation v = √(2 * g * h), where v is the velocity of m1, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the distance that m1 has descended.

What is the significance of the Atwood Machine in science?

The Atwood Machine is significant in science because it allows us to study and understand the principles of classical mechanics, such as forces, acceleration, and inertia. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as elevators and cranes, that rely on the principles of the Atwood Machine to function.

How does friction affect an Atwood Machine?

Friction can affect an Atwood Machine by slowing down the descent and velocity of the masses due to the opposing force it creates. In real-world applications, friction is often minimized or eliminated to make the Atwood Machine more efficient.