Volume Using Polar Coordinates

by squeeky
Tags: coordinates, polar, volume
Share this thread:
squeeky
Nov15-08, 07:36 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use polar coordinates to find the volume bounded by the paraboloids z=3x2+3y2 and z=4-x2-y2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Somehow, through random guessing, I managed to get the right answer, it's just that I don't understand how I got it. Also, because the z is involved, I actually used cylindrical coordinates, but would that still be considered the same thing as polar coordinates? So anyway, I changed the two paraboloid equations to z=3r2 and z=4-r2. Then setting these two equations equal to each other (since they are both equal to z), I solved for r and got the limits of -1,1. For the limits of theta, I just happened to take it from 0 to 2pi. Lastly for the z limits, I just tried from 4-r2 to 3r2, so that gave me the equation:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_{-1}\int^{3r^2}_{4-r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
However, solving this equation didn't give me the right answer, so I changed the limits of r to 0 to 1, and switched the z-limits around, so now it is:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0\int^{4-r^2}_{3r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
And solving for this, gave me the right answer of 2pi. The problem is that I don't understand the real logic behind what I did.
So in summary, what I didn't understand was how to establish the limits for theta, r, and z.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
HallsofIvy
Nov16-08, 04:07 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,490
Quote Quote by squeeky View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use polar coordinates to find the volume bounded by the paraboloids z=3x2+3y2 and z=4-x2-y2
Those two paraboloids intersect when z= 3x2+ 3y2= 4- x2- y2 or 4x2+ 4y2= 4 which reduces to x2+ y2= 1. That projects onto the xy-plane as the unit circle. It shouldn't be hard to see that the volume you want is above that circle. To cover that circle, [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and r goes from 0 to 1. Those are your limits of integration.

For each (x, y), the upper boundary is z= 4- x2- y2 and the lower boundary is z= 3x2+ 3y2. The volume of a "thin" rectangular solid used to construct the Riemann sums for this volume would be [(4- x2- y2)- (3x2+ 3y2)]dxdy= (4- 4x2- 4y2)dxdy= 4(1- x2- y2)dxdy and that, in polar coordinates, is 4(1- r2)rdrd[itex]\theta[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Somehow, through random guessing, I managed to get the right answer, it's just that I don't understand how I got it. Also, because the z is involved, I actually used cylindrical coordinates, but would that still be considered the same thing as polar coordinates?
Yes, "cylindrical coordinates" is just polar coordinates in the xy-plane.

So anyway, I changed the two paraboloid equations to z=3r2 and z=4-r2. Then setting these two equations equal to each other (since they are both equal to z), I solved for r and got the limits of -1,1.
No, you didn't. Or you shouldn't. r cannot be negative. r must be between 0 and 1.

For the limits of theta, I just happened to take it from 0 to 2pi.
Did you think at all about the geometry of the situation? This has circular symmetry. To cover the entire volume you have to cover the entire circle: 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Lastly for the z limits, I just tried from 4-r2 to 3r2
Surely you recognized that z= 4- r2 is ABOVE z= 3r2 for r<= 1?

, so that gave me the equation:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_{-1}\int^{3r^2}_{4-r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
However, solving this equation didn't give me the right answer, so I changed the limits of r to 0 to 1, and switched the z-limits around, so now it is:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_0\int^1_0\int^{4-r^2}_{3r^2}dzrdrd\theta[/tex]
And solving for this, gave me the right answer of 2pi. The problem is that I don't understand the real logic behind what I did.
So in summary, what I didn't understand was how to establish the limits for theta, r, and z.

Register to reply