Best Book for General Physics: A Comprehensive Guide for Engineering Graduates

In summary, a general physics book covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. A strong math background is not necessary, but some knowledge of algebra and trigonometry can be helpful. Popular textbooks for studying general physics include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. A general physics book can be used for self-study, but it's important to supplement with practice problems and experiments. While most books are geared towards college-level students, there are some designed specifically for high school students.
venky56
i am an engineering graduate. i have a special interest in physics. After my school, i never touched physics.
could anyone suggest me a book best for physics,please?
It should cover all the general physics concepts in detail and easily understandable. It should act as a ALL IN ONE for me...

Physics news on Phys.org
"Theoretical Physics" by Georg Joos

I think "Advanced Physics" from Oxford is a good book. Check it out at Amazon.

1. What topics are covered in a general physics book?

A general physics book typically covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Do I need a strong math background to understand a general physics book?

While a strong math background can certainly help in understanding physics concepts, most general physics books are written in a way that can be understood by readers with basic math skills. Some knowledge of algebra and trigonometry is usually sufficient.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for studying general physics?

There are many textbooks available for studying general physics, and it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some popular choices include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma.

4. Can I use a general physics book for self-study?

Yes, a general physics book can be a helpful resource for self-study. However, it's important to supplement the book with practice problems and hands-on experiments to fully grasp the concepts.

5. Is a general physics book suitable for high school students?

Most general physics books are geared towards college-level students, but there are some books specifically designed for high school students. It's important to check the level and content of the book before purchasing it for a high school student.