Recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate

In summary: It is available in several volumes and editions. While I cannot personally recommend it from experience, based on your description, it seems to cover the topics you are looking for. Plus, you can always skip over the lengthy mathematical derivations. Another recommended book is "Fundamentals of Photonics" by Saleh and Teich. It covers the basics concepts of optics without going too deep into math and is a great resource to have on your shelf.
Yukatto
I am a recent Optical Engineering graduate, It's easy to forget about concepts that I learned, so I would like to have a book to that can help me while preparing for job interviews, a book to help me remember the most important concept in Optics and Optical Engineering.
Can anybody recommend such book/website?
A book that covers the basics concepts of optics without going too deep into math: Geometrical/physical optics, Lasers, interferometry, imaging, radiometry, optical design...
A book to keep on the shelf instead of keeping the courses notes...

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps this book:
handbook of optics.
There are several volumes and several editions.
Though I cannot say that my recommendation is from experience...
Just it seemed from your description what you are looking for.
You can always gloss over the lengthy mathematical derivations.

Likes Yukatto
MathematicalPhysicist said:
perhaps this book:
handbook of optics.
There are several volumes and several editions.
Though I cannot say that my recommendation is from experience...
Just it seemed from your description what you are looking for.
You can always gloss over the lengthy mathematical derivations.
A professor of mine also recommended this book, and I've been trying to remember it's name for a long time. Thanks!

Yukatto said:
I am a recent Optical Engineering graduate, It's easy to forget about concepts that I learned, so I would like to have a book to that can help me while preparing for job interviews, a book to help me remember the most important concept in Optics and Optical Engineering.
Can anybody recommend such book/website?
A book that covers the basics concepts of optics without going too deep into math: Geometrical/physical optics, Lasers, interferometry, imaging, radiometry, optical design...
A book to keep on the shelf instead of keeping the courses notes...

I like the following, but be aware that no single book worth having will cover the range of topics you list.

Fundamentals of Photonics (Saleh and Teich)
Imaging Optics (Braat and Torok)
Introduction to Radiometry (Wolfe)

The "Handbook of Optics" is a fantastic reference as well.

• Informative
Likes Yukatto, vanhees71, Delta2 and 1 other person

1. What are the essential topics that should be covered in a recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate?

A recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate should cover topics such as optics fundamentals, optical design, optical materials, optical systems, and optical instrumentation.

2. Are there any specific books that are highly recommended for Optical Engineering graduates?

Yes, there are several books that are highly recommended for Optical Engineering graduates such as "Optical Engineering Fundamentals" by Keigo Iizuka, "Optical System Design" by Robert Fischer, and "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti.

3. Is it necessary for an Optical Engineering graduate to have a strong background in mathematics?

Yes, a strong background in mathematics is essential for an Optical Engineering graduate as it is a highly mathematical field. Knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is crucial for understanding and solving complex optical problems.

4. Can a recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate provide practical applications of optical engineering concepts?

Yes, a recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate should include practical applications of optical engineering concepts. It should provide real-world examples and case studies to help students understand how these concepts are applied in various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video lectures, tutorials, and simulation tools that can supplement a recommended book for Optical Engineering graduate. These resources can provide additional explanations, visual demonstrations, and hands-on practice to enhance the learning experience.