What is the solution to this Divergence Theorem homework problem?

In summary, The problem involves evaluating an integral with a given vector field and a surface bounded by certain equations. The setup for the integral is correct, but the evaluation may be incorrect due to an error in the limits of integration. After further examination, it is discovered that the error is in the limit of the r integral, which should be from 0 to sqrt(3) rather than 0 to 2.
tommyp

Homework Statement

evaluate https://instruct.math.lsa.umich.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/71/7816ab9562fbe29a133b96799ed5521.png if https://instruct.math.lsa.umich.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/65/11ed69ea372626e9c4cee674c8dc6f1.png and S is the surface of the region in the first octant bounded by x = 0, y = 0, below by z = 1, and above by https://instruct.math.lsa.umich.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/70/dd75ed46cf7f510c406a2b2e8cd0cd1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the divergence of F=5y+4z+7x.
My integral was
int(theta from 0 to pi/2)int(r from 0 to 2)int(z from 1 to 4-r^2) (5r^2sin(theta)+4rz+7r^2cos(theta)) dzdrdtheta.
I get 26pi/3+96/5, but that's not the right answer. Is my setup wrong or am I evaluating it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You set up is correct. I haven't checked the evaluation of the integral.

Thanks for the help, but I figured it out and my setup wasn't correct. At z=1 which is the base of the region, r goes to sqrt(3) not 2. So the r integral goes from 0 to sqrt(3).

What is the Divergence Theorem Problem?

The Divergence Theorem Problem is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the surface.

What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem Problem in scientific research?

The Divergence Theorem Problem is an important tool in mathematical physics and engineering. It allows for the simplification of calculations involving vector fields by relating surface integrals to volume integrals, making it easier to solve complex problems in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields.

What is the formula for the Divergence Theorem Problem?

The formula for the Divergence Theorem Problem is: ∫∫S F · dS = ∫∫∫V ∇ · F dV, where F is the vector field, S is the closed surface, and V is the region enclosed by the surface.

What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem Problem?

The Divergence Theorem Problem has many practical applications, including calculating fluid flow rates in pipes, determining the electric flux through a surface, and analyzing the behavior of magnetic fields around a closed surface.

What are some common challenges when solving the Divergence Theorem Problem?

Some common challenges when solving the Divergence Theorem Problem include selecting the appropriate vector field and closed surface, setting up the integrals correctly, and dealing with complex geometries or boundary conditions. It is also important to have a solid understanding of vector calculus and its concepts to effectively apply the theorem.