How can I verify the Divergence Theorem for F=(2xz,y,−z^2)

I repeat, what about the other three surfaces? The divergence theorem says that you must integrate the divergence over the entire volume enclosed by this wedge.
kelvin56484984

Homework Statement

Verify the Divergence Theorem for F=(2xz,y,−z^2) and D is the wedge cut from the first octant by the plane z =y and the elliptical cylinder x^2+4y^2=16

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \int F\cdot n dS=\int \int \int divF dv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the RHS
r(u,v)=(4cosu,2sinu,v) where u=[0,2pi] and v=[0,1]
[tex]\overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v =(2cosu,4sinu,0) [/tex][/B]
[tex]\left \| \overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v \right \|=\sqrt{4cos^{2}u+16sin^{2}v} [/tex]
[tex]\int \int f(r(u,v))\cdot \left \| \overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v \right \| dudv [/tex]
For the Div F . dv
Div F=1
What is the limit for the triple integral?
How can I do the triple integration to verify the divergence theorem?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kelvin56484984 said:

Homework Statement

Verify the Divergence Theorem for F=(2xz,y,−z^2) and D is the wedge cut from the first octant by the plane z =y and the elliptical cylinder x^2+4y^2=16

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \int F\cdot n dS=\int \int \int divF dv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the RHS
r(u,v)=(4cosu,2sinu,v) where u=[0,2pi] and v=[0,1]
[tex]\overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v =(2cosu,4sinu,0) [/tex][/B]
[tex]\left \| \overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v \right \|=\sqrt{4cos^{2}u+16sin^{2}v} [/tex]
[tex]\int \int f(r(u,v))\cdot \left \| \overrightarrow{r}u \times \overrightarrow{r}v \right \| dudv [/tex]
That last integral should be$$
\pm\int \int \vec F(r(u,v))\cdot \vec r_u \times \vec r_v~ dudv $$where the sign is chosen appropriate for the outer normal.
##u## doesn't go from ##0## to ##2\pi## for the first octant, and ##v## doesn't go from ##0## to ##1##. Also, I assume you are aware that the surface integral(s) must include all four surfaces.

For the Div F . dv
Div F=1
What is the limit for the triple integral?
How can I do the triple integration to verify the divergence theorem?

thanks
Have you drawn a picture of the wedge? Since the divergence is ##1## you are just doing a volume integral. You might pick some order of dz, dy, dx and set up a triple integral. Start with a picture.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply
Should u and v be [0,pi/2],[0,4] respectively ?
thus, the integration is
[tex]\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (4cosu,2sinu,v)\cdot (2cosu,4sinu,0) dudv[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (8cos^{2}u+8sin^{2}u)dudv[/tex]

For the second part,
If I use the shperical coordinate to do the integration,
θ should be [0,pi/2] , ϕ,should be [0,pi/4] ?
How can I find the limit of p ?
z=y : psinϕ=psinθcosϕ

kelvin56484984 said:
thanks for the reply
Should u and v be [0,pi/2],[0,4] respectively ?

Yes for ##u##, no for ##v##. ##v## is just a rename of ##z## and it never gets as large as ##4##. And its range depends on what ##u## is, which determines ##x## and ##y##. You need a picture.

thus, the integration is
[tex]\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \color{red}{(4cosu,2sinu,v)}\cdot (2cosu,4sinu,0) dudv[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} (8cos^{2}u+8sin^{2}u)dudv[/tex]

No, per above. Also what I have highlighted in red doesn't look like ##\vec F(\vec r(u,v))##.

For the second part,
If I use the shperical coordinate to do the integration,
θ should be [0,pi/2] , ϕ,should be [0,pi/4] ?
How can I find the limit of p ?
z=y : psinϕ=psinθcosϕ

Why in the world would you think of spherical coordinates? There is nothing "spherical" about this problem. You have apparently ignored my post where I suggested to draw a picture and set it up in rectangular coordinates. And what about the other three surfaces for part ##1##?

Last edited:

1. What is the Divergence Theorem and why is it important?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a fundamental principle in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field inside the surface. It is important because it allows for the calculation of complicated surface integrals by converting them into easier volume integrals.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem verified for a given vector field?

The Divergence Theorem can be verified for a given vector field by first evaluating the surface integral of the vector field over a closed surface. Then, the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the same region can be calculated. If these two values are equal, then the Divergence Theorem is verified for that particular vector field.

3. What is the vector field F=(2xz,y,−z^2) and how is it related to the Divergence Theorem?

The vector field F=(2xz,y,−z^2) is a three-dimensional vector field that represents the flow of a fluid through a region in space. It is related to the Divergence Theorem because the divergence of this vector field can be calculated and used to verify the theorem for this specific vector field.

4. What are some applications of the Divergence Theorem in real-world problems?

The Divergence Theorem has various applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used to calculate fluid flow rates, electric and magnetic flux, and heat transfer in real-world situations. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving vector fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the Divergence Theorem?

While the Divergence Theorem is a powerful tool in vector calculus, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to vector fields that are well-behaved and have continuous partial derivatives. It also requires the region of integration to be a closed surface, which may not always be the case in real-world problems.