Where to Get Small Brushless DC Motors

by Captain Barbosa
Tags: brushless, motors
Captain Barbosa
Dec7-08, 02:35 PM
P: 12
Hopefully this is the appropriate forum for this sort of question, but I was wondering if any of you might know where I could buy small brushless DC motors online.

I've been Googling around for a while, but most of the ones that I found are too large and expensive for what I need, as they're meant for RC airplanes and the like.

Basically what I want is something with the size and performance of what might be found in a computer case fan, but without having to actually cannibalize a computer fan. (Although this could work.)

I thought some of you people who are into robotics might know where to get them. Thanks in advance.

Just in case anyone is curious, I'm going to use 3 of them to make a spirograph-type laser light show with variable speed controls for each motor.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Captain Barbosa
Dec7-08, 08:52 PM
I only found one motor on any of those sites that's brushless, and there aren't many specs that they show for it.

Maybe I should just cannibalize a few computer fans. It would certainly be easier than trying to hunt down the motor separately.

Some of those sites are pretty cool though, thanks for those!

stewartcs
Dec8-08, 08:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,283

Where to Get Small Brushless DC Motors

Quote Quote by Captain Barbosa View Post
I only found one motor on any of those sites that's brushless, and there aren't many specs that they show for it.

Maybe I should just cannibalize a few computer fans. It would certainly be easier than trying to hunt down the motor separately.

Try Graybar, they may have some.

CS
Topher925
Dec8-08, 10:46 AM
P: 1,672
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted brushless motors. I saw DC in your post and for some reason I just assumed brushed. If that's the case the smallest your probably going to find are the the computer fan motors or you can cannibalize CD-ROM drive motors. CD-ROM motors are very easy to modify (used them for many projects) and can be easily tailored to many applications.
RonL
Dec8-08, 11:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 701
Quote Quote by Captain Barbosa View Post

Try this site, not only do they show how, there are some that will sell to you. There is a lot here so spend some time looking through the topics, and threads.

http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-mot...struction-361/

Ron
Captain Barbosa
Dec12-08, 12:03 AM
Wow, thanks for giving me the idea of cd-rom motors! A quick Google showed tons of sites with information on modifying and using them.

I'll be sure to check out that RC groups site.

For my purposes I can probably even just glue the mirrors directly on to the rotor can.

Register to reply