Register to reply

Difference between an orthogonal complement and the orthogonal complement's basis.

by bluewhistled
Tags: basis, complement, difference, orthogonal
Share this thread:
bluewhistled
Dec7-08, 09:32 PM
P: 31
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I don't understand the difference between an orthogonal complement and it's basis. In this problem: W = [x,y,z]: 2x-y+3z=0 Find w's orthogonal complement and the basis for the orthogonal complement.

3. The attempt at a solution
I did a quick reduced row echelon to [2,-1,3] to get [1,-.5,1.5] and then found the nullspace which is [.5,1,0] and [-1.5,0,1] and this is either the orthogonal complement or the orthogonal complement's basis. Anyone know the difference?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Defennder
Dec7-08, 09:39 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,616
Please do not start multiple threads on the same question.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=277907
bluewhistled
Dec7-08, 09:44 PM
P: 31
I essentially answered my question before. My first one was getting convoluted with my posts. So I started a new one based on a different question. Would you mind deleting my original thread? And if you do, would you mind deleting your post claiming I started multiple threads so as not to discourage people from helping.

Thanks

Register to reply