Register to reply

Difference between an orthogonal complement and the orthogonal complement's basis.

by bluewhistled
Tags: basis, complement, difference, orthogonal
Share this thread:
bluewhistled
Dec7-08, 09:32 PM
P: 31
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I don't understand the difference between an orthogonal complement and it's basis. In this problem: W = [x,y,z]: 2x-y+3z=0 Find w's orthogonal complement and the basis for the orthogonal complement.

3. The attempt at a solution
I did a quick reduced row echelon to [2,-1,3] to get [1,-.5,1.5] and then found the nullspace which is [.5,1,0] and [-1.5,0,1] and this is either the orthogonal complement or the orthogonal complement's basis. Anyone know the difference?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Defennder
Dec7-08, 09:39 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,616
Please do not start multiple threads on the same question.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=277907
bluewhistled
Dec7-08, 09:44 PM
P: 31
I essentially answered my question before. My first one was getting convoluted with my posts. So I started a new one based on a different question. Would you mind deleting my original thread? And if you do, would you mind deleting your post claiming I started multiple threads so as not to discourage people from helping.

Thanks

Register to reply