Curved path

by ritwik06
Tags: curved, path
ritwik06
Dec9-08, 12:07 PM
P: 586
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Is the answer reference frame dependent?
[I am sorry. I forgot that the rule says on question per thread. ]
3. The attempt at a solution
YES, when the body stays still but the frame describes a curved path. Then with respect to that frame the body will describe curves but no force would act on particle. Will we count pseudo force as a force?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Redbelly98
Dec9-08, 03:25 PM
Mentor
P: 11,984
I guess it matters whether we are considering accelerated reference frames, or just strictly inertial reference frames.

Or put another way, do you think they are considering reference frames in which F=ma is not true?
turin
Dec9-08, 06:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,327
Quote Quote by ritwik06 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Is the answer reference frame dependent?
[I am sorry. I forgot that the rule says on question per thread. ]
3. The attempt at a solution
YES, when the body stays still but the frame describes a curved path. Then with respect to that frame the body will describe curves but no force would act on particle. Will we count pseudo force as a force?
I agree with your answer. What is a "curved path", anyway? If you define it as a path for which the coordinates of points along the path are not all related by affine transformations, then all you have to do is define screwy coordinates (or, as you suggest, rotate the reference frame).

Register to reply