Understanding meaning of inertial reference frames

In summary, an inertial reference frame is one that is not accelerating. For the given scenarios, the correct answer is c, as the train is moving at a steady speed and there is no acceleration. This can be represented by the equation a = 0.
ComputerForests000

Homework Statement

Which of these situations describes you observing from an inertial reference frame?
a. you are in the car of a train, seated at a table, and the train suddenly slows down
b. you are in the car of a train, going north, and the train goes around a curve to go west
c. you are in the car of a train, and the train is going up a steep hill at a steady speed
d. you are on a ride that spins riders around a horizontal circle

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read that inertial reference frames are those that are not accelerating. I still do not understand this completely. I think the answer for this question is c, since you would be moving with the train at a constant velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
ComputerForests000 said:

Homework Statement

Which of these situations describes you observing from an inertial reference frame?
a. you are in the car of a train, seated at a table, and the train suddenly slows down
b. you are in the car of a train, going north, and the train goes around a curve to go west
c. you are in the car of a train, and the train is going up a steep hill at a steady speed
d. you are on a ride that spins riders around a horizontal circle

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read that inertial reference frames are those that are not accelerating. I still do not understand this completely. I think the answer for this question is c, since you would be moving with the train at a constant velocity.

Of course there is an equation: a = 0 (no acceleration).

Now for each of the four cases, is a = 0, a < 0, or a > 0?

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:
Noe for each of the four cases, is a = 0, a < 0, or a > 0?

I know this may seem a little goofy, but when I first read your typo “Noe” instead of “Now” I thought it was a typo for “No” and you were contradicting him. Just in case it seemed confusing to him I wanted to emphasize that of course his answer of “c” is correct.

1. What are inertial reference frames?

Inertial reference frames are frames of reference in which Newton's first law of motion holds true. This means that an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, there is no acceleration in an inertial reference frame unless a force is applied.

2. How do inertial reference frames relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Inertial reference frames are essential to understanding Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that objects in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by a force, which is only true in an inertial reference frame. The second law states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration, which can be accurately measured in an inertial reference frame. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can also be observed and measured in an inertial reference frame.

3. How do we determine if a reference frame is inertial?

A reference frame is considered inertial if it satisfies two conditions: it is not accelerating, and there are no external forces acting on it. This means that the frame is either stationary or moving at a constant velocity. In practical terms, this can be determined by conducting experiments within the frame and observing if Newton's first law holds true.

4. Can non-inertial reference frames be useful in scientific research?

Yes, non-inertial reference frames can still be useful in certain situations, such as when studying objects or systems that are constantly accelerating. However, it is important to recognize that Newton's laws of motion may not hold true in non-inertial frames, which can lead to inaccurate results. Therefore, it is crucial to properly identify and account for the effects of non-inertial reference frames in scientific research.

5. How does general relativity relate to inertial reference frames?

General relativity is a theory that explains the relationship between gravity and the curvature of space-time. In this theory, inertial reference frames are frames in which objects appear to follow Newton's laws of motion, even though space-time is actually curved due to the presence of massive objects. This means that, in general relativity, inertial reference frames are used to describe the motion of objects on a small scale, while more complex concepts are used to understand the effects of gravity on a larger scale.