Parametric Equation Speed

by keemosabi
Tags: equation, parametric, speed
keemosabi
Feb12-09, 10:09 PM
P: 109
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Can someone please tell me how to get the average speed of a particle moving along a path represented by parametric equations? Is it [latex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int_{a}^{b}\sqrt{\frac{dx }{d t}^2 + \frac{d y}{d t}^2}[/latex]

Isn't this the arc length formula?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
w3390
Feb12-09, 10:13 PM
P: 344
This is the arc length formula. The average value formula is Favg=(1/b-a)INT[f(x)dx]. It seems you combined two formulas.
keemosabi
Feb12-09, 10:38 PM
Quote Quote by w3390 View Post
This is the arc length formula. The average value formula is Favg=(1/b-a)INT[f(x)dx]. It seems you combined two formulas.
But if I wanted the speed of a particle moving with a parametric graph, woldn't everything under the radical be my speed function?

w3390
Feb12-09, 10:40 PM
P: 344

Parametric Equation Speed

Actually, you may be right. I think that might actually work.
Dick
Feb13-09, 12:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,173
No, no, no. The average speed is displacement over time. It has nothing to do with arc length. It's sqrt((x(b)-x(a))^2+(y(b)-y(a))^2)/(b-a) where a is the intiial time and b is the final time. Right?
keemosabi
Feb13-09, 08:11 AM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
No, no, no. The average speed is displacement over time. It has nothing to do with arc length. It's sqrt((x(b)-x(a))^2+(y(b)-y(a))^2)/(b-a) where a is the intiial time and b is the final time. Right?
Couldn't you also do the average value of the absolute value of the velocity graph?
Dick
Feb13-09, 08:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Quote Quote by keemosabi View Post
Couldn't you also do the average value of the absolute value of the velocity graph?
Yes, you could. In which case that would be correct. Distance travelled/time could also be considered an average speed. I was only thinking of the displacement/time definition.
keemosabi
Feb13-09, 10:02 AM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Yes, you could. In which case that would be correct. Distance travelled/time could also be considered an average speed. I was only thinking of the displacement/time definition.
Alirght, thank you for the help.

Also, is there any way to determine if a particle traveling on a parametric path is increasing in speed? I know I can determine if the x and y are accelerating, but I can I determine if the particle itself is increasing?

What if it was accelearating in the x direction but decelerating in the y? Would the particle's speed be increasing or decreasing?
Dick
Feb13-09, 10:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
The 'speed' is sqrt((dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2), isn't it? Just look at whether that quantity is increasing or decreasing.

Register to reply