Rectified Voltage Waveform

by Machodog
Tags: rectified, voltage, waveform
Share this thread:
Machodog
Feb13-09, 06:52 PM
P: 5
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A sinusoidal voltage waveform is rectified so that it becomes a half-wave waveform (i.e. the bottom half has been "chopped off"). Determine:

i) The average p.d.
ii) The RMS p.d.
iii) The heat dissipated in a 200ohm resistor in 100s

2. Relevant equations
[itex]P_{avg} = \frac{(V_{rms})^2}{R}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm not sure, but I would guess that the average p.d. is the line that cuts the rectified waveform in such a way that the area above and below is the same. I have a vague recollection about it being [itex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/itex] times the peak voltage.
I am also quite uncertain about the RMS, how would the voltage being zero half the time affect this value? I'm guessing it will no longer be [itex]\frac{\sqrt2}{2} V_{peak}[/itex].

Please could anyone give me some clues on how to work out the RMS and average values?

EDIT:Oops sorry I did not mean to post the same thread twice...just ignore the other one!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Delphi51
Feb13-09, 08:39 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
I don't know of any formula for the half-wave signal. I rather think you will have to find out what "root mean square" means and work it out from the definition - no doubt you will be integrating over a full wavelength (the V = zero part will be easy!).

The average potential will be the same sort of thing, the area divided by the time.

Register to reply